Re. subsurface: FTBFS in experimental

Pierre-Yves Chibon pingou at pingoured.fr
Wed Aug 26 04:21:21 PDT 2015

> > Well apparently subsurface is now targeted towards Win/Mac[0] (no
> > binaries for Linux)... so the "experience" for FLOSS users will simply
> > be that there is no subsurface anymore.
>
> No, we have binaries available for Ubuntu, Fedora, OpenSUSE, Mint, and, of
> course, Debian. And we have a fully automated build script in the works
> that builds Subsurface on many other distributions that we haven't been
> able to add to our list. There's an ArchLinux AUR based on that. Etc.

You are also building the Fedora and OpenSuse packages on the same system while
if they are both RPM based they do use different macros and have different
guidelines.
I looked quickly over the spec file and I call already tell that the spec file
used would not be valid on Fedora, even more fun the source rpm doesn't even
build on Fedora.

So no, I would not install your binary on my machine but then again, I am maybe
just too experienced in this domain, maybe most of our users don't care of these
things.

This whole situation is kinda sad to me. I love subsurface and what it allowed
me to do. I maintain subsurface and libdivecomputer in Fedora but I guess I
won't be able to soon. I could have integrated your patches in libdivecomputer
(already compiled as a static library, for subsurface), we could have worked
with the libmarble folks to integrate the desired changes, we could have
specified an exact version of libgit2 required, but no, I've been asked to just
forget the time I invested in this and instead use a binary provided that
doesn't even build on my OS.
Sad :(

Pierre