at some point we need to release Subsurface 4.5

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Aug 26 13:20:55 PDT 2015

Quick update on where we are with respect to starting the 4.5 release
cycle...

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 06:16:32AM -0700, Dirk Hohndel wrote:

> Location management
> ===================

I think we are really close. It's not perfect, it has bugs, needs a ton of
testing and some things fixed before a final release... but this is almost
ready for Beta 1.

If there are any show stoppers here, please file bugs / let us know.

> Cloud storage
> =============

Merge has been implemented by the master of creating crappy code and
subtle bugs that will delete all your data. Which means we are ready for
Beta 1.

I would mention that this needs more testing but I've said that so many
times I'll just give up. A few people clearly are playing with it, but the
number is way too small. 21 people have tried this at all, 9 have used it
in the past four days.

> Undo/redo
> =========
>
> Undo/redo is there for a hand full of operations. That's nice but are we
> OK with this? And can the mixing of things that get added to the undo
> stack and operations that don't get added to the undo stack cause
> disaster?
>
> I think this mainly needs testing. Lots of testing. This is a chance for
> all of you people on this mailing list who aren't developers but who want
> to help! What would be great is simply a collection of emails "this has
> been tested and works / here is how I can make this break". Any volunteers
> who would like to take ownership here? You don't have to fix the bugs,
> just document what works and where things might fail.

Nothing has happened on this. I don't know if this has been well tested
and is perfect, or if no one ever uses it and it's a complete disaster.

I guess we can just have our users find out.

> Printing
> ========

This is ready for Beta 1 WITH THE EXCEPTION OF OS X where I believe this
is still completely broken.

> VPM-B
> =====
>
> VPM-B - at least for the planner I understand that we are getting closer.
> Ignoring the fact that so far we aren't matching known profiles :-/
>
> Robert / Jan - do you have a TODO list for what is needed?

I'm not quite sure. I think it's close. It needs a bigger disclaimer that
says "WE REALLY MEAN IT, DON'T DIVE WITH THESE TABLES"

> Bluetooth support
> =================
>
> BT support is looking fairly good on Linux and making progress on Windows,
> I think, but I'm sure there are tons of small issues lurking here and
> there. Has anyone gotten it to work on Mac, yet?

Also ready for Beta 1, except for OS X where it also doesn't appear to
work at all :-(

> Android app
> ===========
>
> The Android app is also making great progress - but can be released
> independently of 4.5 (admittedly, I'd love to release them together - but
> it obviously cannot be released until 4.5 is out as it uses cloud storage
> to connect to the dive data of a user).
>
> What's the feature set we'd want for that first release? Do we need
> download on the device? Or is what Grace has right now already reasonaby
> sufficient? It definitely needs lots of testing and tuning of the UI.

This needs a lot more work, but in a way it doesn't have to be released
with 4.5 unless we happen to get it ready in time.

> User manual
> ===========
>
> That needs massive work for all the amazing features that we have added.
> Willem, will you be able to do that?
> Once we have agreed on a feature set for the Android app, that needs a
> separate user manual as well. Volunteers?

Several people have volunteered but I haven't seen patches. But in a way
this isn't strictly required for Beta 1. We can update this throughout the
release cycle.

So my inclination is to start the beta test soon.

I have no idea how to fix the issue that two major new features don't work
on the Mac. If it wasn't for that I'd be pushing for a Beta 1 within days.