Location non-edit should not prevent one from selecting another dive

Lutz Vieweg lvml at 5t9.de
Wed Aug 26 16:10:45 PDT 2015

On 08/27/2015 12:55 AM, Tomaz Canabrava wrote:
>     I don't know enough about the inner mechanics of that GUI to understand
>     why this could mean a large-scale change, but isn't binding a press
>     of the "Enter" key event in an edit field to the same function as when
>     the "Apply Changes" button is pressed a trivial thing?
>

> Not when you are dealing with bulk - changes, for instance:
> you may have started editing your dive but then realize that you edited
> the wrong dive
> hit enter by mistake ( easy to hit ) and you saved your changes

So it takes two mistakes (hitting enter without actually wanting to
commit plus typing Ctrl-s) to accidentally overwrite one attribute
of 1 to N dives. And still you want another layer of security by
requiring a mouse move and button press?
That seems kind of exaggerated to me... especially if it is only
one single dive being edited.

Plus, isn't there also an "Undo" function as another safety net?

If somebody really loses data despite all these safety measures,
Subsurface could display a warning dialog: "Diving is dangerous.
Fewer mistakes than you just made can cause a fatal accident.
Please consider more mistake-forgiving recreational activities." ;-)

Regards,

Lutz Vieweg