Re. subsurface: FTBFS in experimental

Guillaume Gardet guillaume.gardet at free.fr
Thu Aug 27 05:22:18 PDT 2015

Hi,

Le 26/08/2015 13:21, Pierre-Yves Chibon a écrit :
>>> Well apparently subsurface is now targeted towards Win/Mac[0] (no
>>> binaries for Linux)... so the "experience" for FLOSS users will simply
>>> be that there is no subsurface anymore.
>> No, we have binaries available for Ubuntu, Fedora, OpenSUSE, Mint, and, of
>> course, Debian. And we have a fully automated build script in the works
>> that builds Subsurface on many other distributions that we haven't been
>> able to add to our list. There's an ArchLinux AUR based on that. Etc.
> You are also building the Fedora and OpenSuse packages on the same system while
> if they are both RPM based they do use different macros and have different
> guidelines.

Hey, this is not true. Subsurface uses the OBS (Open Build Service) to build packages. OBS runs build jobs inside VMs.
So, Fedora 21 packages are built inside a Fedora 21 VM, Fedora 22 in a Fedora 22 VM, openSUSE 13.2 packages are built in openSUSE 13.2 VM, and so on.
So, this is not the same system, even for the same distro, it is distribution _AND_ release specific.

> I looked quickly over the spec file and I call already tell that the spec file
> used would not be valid on Fedora, even more fun the source rpm doesn't even
> build on Fedora.

What is the problem? You are free to send patches to fix/enhance things.

> So no, I would not install your binary on my machine but then again, I am maybe
> just too experienced in this domain, maybe most of our users don't care of these
> things.
>
> This whole situation is kinda sad to me. I love subsurface and what it allowed
> me to do. I maintain subsurface and libdivecomputer in Fedora but I guess I
> won't be able to soon. I could have integrated your patches in libdivecomputer
> (already compiled as a static library, for subsurface), we could have worked
> with the libmarble folks to integrate the desired changes, we could have
> specified an exact version of libgit2 required, but no, I've been asked to just
> forget the time I invested in this and instead use a binary provided that
> doesn't even build on my OS.

Again, please send patches.

Guillaume