Artifacts with VPM-B ceiling on level changes

Rick Walsh rickmwalsh at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 20:44:20 PDT 2015

Hi Gaetan,

On 28 Aug 2015 1:32 pm, "Gaetan Bisson" <bisson at archlinux.org> wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I've noticed what looks to me like artifacts regarding the ceiling VPM
> calculates for multilevel dives. See the attached screenshot.
>
> Basically, during manually entered ascent segments, the calculated
> ceiling becomes deeper as the diver goes shallower...
>
> It might just be a well-known VPM "feature" but I still thought I would
> ask here if anyone knows what is going on.

Thanks for testing and reporting.

Yes, it is known, we'd like to get rid of it, and I wouldn't call it a
feature as such.

I suspect it's due to the Boyle's law compensation, which recalibrates the
gradient/ceiling at each point. But that doesn't happen between points, so
we're getting little jumps at each point. We might need to do the
compensation more frequently.