count down to Beta 1

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Aug 31 22:58:09 PDT 2015

Hi there,

So I think I have received all the fixes that I was waiting for. What's
left to do is testing and more testing. I am thinking of doing Beta 1
around the end of this week, assuming no show stoppers come up.

Tomaz did some more work on the dive site management, including adding a
way to merge dive sites with identical GPS locations. I'm thinking that it
might be neat to allow a slightly fuzzy search (like a 20m radius or
something), but that's really not a requirement, certainly not for Beta 1).

I also merged all the latest patches for the deco work, Grace's Android
updates and anything else that I saw pending.

If your patch isn't in yet, please resend because I missed it.

Here are the things that I'm aware of that we need to get done at some
point during the Beta cycle (but not necessarily for Beta 1)

- Uemis downloader. Guido is working on that code
- Printing. As usual, Miika can crash things in hard to reproduce ways
- Android app. This needs a good bit of UI love
- Documentation
- Translations

For the translations it would be great if people could check for
consistency. Are all relevant strings marked for translation? Are we
following our guideline of capitalizing the first word and havinging the
rest lower case.

The documentation will in large chunks need to be written, proof-read,
translated. That's a HUGE pile of work. Mind you, I expect about 4-6 weeks
of beta cycle, so there is some time.

The biggest thing we need is testing.
A lot of testing.
Take Subsurface through its paces. Do all the things you normally do.
Download from your divecomputers into a new dive log. Add locations, print
things out, store them to cloud storage, play with the web export on
cloud.subsurface-divelog.org, etc.
Also, try all the menu entries including the ones you normally don't use.
Both on the main menu and the context menu.

It would be REALLY helpful if we could get a solid round of testing and
bug fixing done BEFORE we release Beta 1 - this simply will give our users
a better experience. For this purpose I have create new daily builds for
all platforms. Please test those if at all possible.

Thanks everyone