[mobile ui] navigation rework

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Dec 1 12:36:59 PST 2015

On Tue, Dec 01, 2015 at 08:46:50PM +0100, Anton Lundin wrote:
> On 01 December, 2015 - Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Dec 01, 2015 at 11:25:48AM -0600, Adric Norris wrote:
> > > Quick question. Android (via Settings / apps) reports the mobile app
> > > version as 1.0, but it's listed as 4.5.2.320 on the daily downloads page.
> > > Is this intentional (maybe because it's not in the appstore yet)? It seems
> > > to me like they should be in sync (at least as far as the 4.5.2 portion),
> > > to facilitate version tagging in the bugtracker. I could easily be missing
> > > something, however.
> >
> > They should be in sync. I'll look into that.
>
> The 1.0 comes from the AndroidManifest.xml.

Yep, found that.

> The problem is that this file gets mangled by androiddeployqt so the
> problem is to figure out how we can hook us in and inject our versions
> there.

I actually went with an extremely low tech approach. I use sed to modify
the AndroidManifest.xml right before building the Android APKs. This seems
to work well and the latest APKs in downloads/daily already show correct
version information :-)

> Android has actually two versions on a package. android:versionCode
> which is a 16-bit int and android:versionName which is the string shown
> to the user.
>
> I'd suggest we use the number of commits in this branch as versionCode
> and git describe as versionName.

For my "official" builds the versionName is the full four version numbers,
so 4.5.2.322 or something like that. And the versionCode is simply a
monotonic build number. Every time I run my build script, the versionCode
increments by one. :-)