Subsurface-mobile use

Steve stevewilliams at internode.on.net
Wed Dec 2 17:17:38 PST 2015

On Wed, Dec 02, 2015 at 12:43:17PM -0800, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 02, 2015 at 10:01:06PM +0200, Willem Ferguson wrote:
> > Using the Android version I am getting ready to record dive sites in
> > two week's time. Is access to the location services now also
> > controlled by the cloud password? I see no place in the Android
> > version to type in that very long access code that the companion app uses.
>
> I thought I posted about this before but I think it's worth repeating...
>
> Subsurface-mobile will use your email address to look up your old
> style 30 character userid for the webservice. And if you don't have a
> webservice account linked to the cloud service email it just creates
> one for you with the same email address (because you already have
> verified that address, anyway).
>
> So all you need to do is set up your cloud storage and you should be good.
> And if that doesn't work, I of course want to know about it :-)
>
> One thing we need to do is to allow you to retrieve the matching
> webservice userid from the desktop app as well - I know that I thought
> about where to implement this, but it seems I haven't done it, yet...

Ok, that's taken care of. This needs testing, though.
- Delete your web service ID from the preferences (and make sure it isn't
  stored in your XML file / git storage, either).
- Make sure your cloud storage credentials are in the preferences
- Open "Import GPS data from Subsurface web service"
If all goes well, your userid should be magically filled in

YMMV :-)

/D

I just tested this and on the desktop app it works as described but userid was only filled after closing and re-opening subsurface.

Tried to test on mobile device by:

Uninstalling previous daily mobile app.
Installing the latest mobile app.
Setting my username / password combination in cloud storage.

Then testing the app by waiting to get log which never happened.
Looked in the log and it just says:
filename is now https://cloud.subsurface-divelog.org//git/stevewilliams@internode.on.net[stevewilliams@internode.on.net]
0 dives loaded

At which point I opened up desktop app and no dives loaded there either.
Went to the web page https://cloud.subsurface-divelog.org/user/stevewilliams@internode.on.net/dives.html  and also no dives showing there either.

No issue I have a backup that I can load to the cloud again.

Just small usability improvement that would improve things is in landscape the page to enter your email address not all the address is shown and you can't touch/hold drag it across to show it all.
If you turn it to portrait then you can see the long fields but the same problem with the bottom of the screen you can't drag to click the bottom buttons.