mobile ui todo

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu Dec 3 12:18:10 PST 2015

Hi Dirk,

On Thursday, December 03, 2015 11:49:29 Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> I have ordered your list below in what I think is a ROUGH priority order
> and indicated the things that I plan to work on myself...
>
> On Thu, Dec 03, 2015 at 07:04:55PM +0000, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > We received pretty useful feedback during the testing of the latest mobile
> > ui
> > changes. Here's a list of my notes of things which need doing:
> high:
> -----
>
> > - add dive, then hit back button crashes (remove for now, sort out adding
> > dives later)
> > - edit / paste thing doesn't work in listviews
> > http://trac.subsurface-divelog.org/ticket/977

This one may end up tricky, we'll have to do some surgery to get Plasma's
functionality in. It's a problem with the Android style, so perhaps that's
been fixed in Qt 5.6 (out next week).

> > - cloud storage login page in just one column, clips on narrow screen
> > otherwise
> This is something I wanted to work on tonight or tomorrow.
>
> > - switch to divelist once everything's downloaded
>
> You already do this - what I think you mean is "once cloud storage
> credentials are entered, download the dive list"? If that's what you mean,
> then that's high priority and something I intend to implement.

Downloading and an indicator that it's downloading. Right now, there is not
feedback that it's actually doing something, and on the devices I tested, the
list is not automatically refreshed once data is in. Same thing as the
"download indicator", really.

> medium:
> -------
>
> > - more swipe pixels on the LHS should make it easier to swipe drawer in
> > - fix divedetails image sizing artifacts
>
> I think I addressed some of this, but there's more work needed where I
> just don't understand what's going on.

Right, I saw your commits. I'll have a look at them, thanks for looking into
it.

> > - indication for download in process and finished (Q_PROPERTY?)
> > - clean up and reshuffle menu options
> > - clean up context menu's broken features
> > - split edit and view dive details
> > - Reorganization of UI: showing vs. editing (showing has priority for
> > now),
> >
> >   (edit could become the current page until that is redone as well)
> >
> > - left-swiping to "scroll dives"
>
> (that should be "left- and right-swiping to switch between dives")

Right, left *and* right. :-)

> lower:
> ------
>
> > - new photo for sidebar
> > - sidebar photo also loaded in low-res
> > - higher resolution for svg icons (!)

This last one is IMO pretty grave as the icons looked washed out right now. It
won't be much work, just me having a better look which SVG items are actually
scalable, and which ones are just glorified pixmaps (I may have used these by
accident). No biggie, hower.

> disagree / don't do this:
> -------------------------
>
> > - title becomes "Subsurface", remove the "mobile"
>
> No, we really want to have the distinction between Subsurface and
> Subsurface-mobile. I don't think it's a smart move to call this Subsurface
> as well as it will drive us insane when people talk about "issues with
> Subsurface" or "problem running Subsurface"... And fundamentally, they are
> two different applications!

It'll be clear if they're running on Android. My thinking goes along the line
of Subsurface's appearance not really mattering, it just works on any device
(and present one, or the other UI, as suitable). The brand is Subsurface, and
calling it "mobile" gives it a specialization in the Forrest Gump sense.
Another problem, depending on the launcher used, is that "Subsurface Mobile"
may get clipped because the title is too long. The icon is not distinct enough
for that, and seems more like a hack.

If we end up providing the desktop ui on Android as well, we may want to mark
that somehow, as a desktop UI is not what the user expects.

> don't understand:
> -----------------
>
> > - make preferences "login" or "connect"
>
> What do you mean by that?

I want to split up the login and the preferences page. I think the GPS options
for example should move there. They seem to be more geared towards the running
app, rather than syncing. The login page should become as short as possible,
because there will usually be a keyboard covering the lower part.

That's what I have on paper: http://imgur.com/QTXefUJ

> OK, I hope this helps moving things along.

Surely does.

> Others, if you are working on any of these items or have opinions on
> priority, etc, please speak up!

Cheers,
--
sebas