Subsurface-mobile use

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Dec 3 13:15:34 PST 2015

On Thu, Dec 03, 2015 at 01:08:46PM -0800, K. "pestophagous" Heller wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 9:16 AM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 03, 2015 at 04:25:56PM +0000, John Smith wrote:
> >>
> >> Out of interest, when do you think you might get Editting and downloading working?
> >
> > The main QML UI developer right now is Sebastian and he is working on
> > several other projects as well, so his contributions tend to come in
> > chunks of "a few hours on a random day". I'm thrilled and excited that
> > he's working on this - but we really need more people to wrap their mind
> > around QML and contribute. I keep trying to encourage people to do so but
> > haven't seen a lot of results so far...
>
> Shameless plug:
> "results so far" include:
> http://lists.subsurface-divelog.org/pipermail/subsurface/2015-November/thread.html#23414
>
> accept it for the sake of supporting QML pokery!
> :)

The reason I didn't accept it was the discussion with Lubomir and the fact
that it was unclear to me what the final resolution / patch to accept
ended up being. Can you resubmit?

> (there's no QML in the patch, but it was a result of some efforts to
> build and launch and debug the mobile version.)
>
> --------------------
>
> recruiting hackers/testers of the mobile UI, it bears repeating what
> Dirk said in November:
>
> <quote>
>
> And oh btw - you can quite easily test the QML on the desktop.
> Simply enable SUBSURFACE_MOBILE in the cmake (easily
> done with ccmake ) and you can build subsurface-mobile
> on your Linux box ...
> And then you can work on the QML code and test it quite efficiently.
> /D
>
> </quote>
>
> i had no intention of hacking on the mobile version until i saw that.
> OTOH, it seems several bug reports are now specific to actual phones,
> so building on the desktop won't necessarily help with that...
> but it's a step in the right direction, no?

Definitely. It appears that while I can build and test Subsurface-mobile
without a problem on my Macs (tried on three different ones) at least
Robert can't get that to work. So YMMV. But yes, testing / working on this
on your desktop is extremely viable.

This doesn't solve the need to test on Android (and hopefully, soon, iOS),
but it really helps.

> then the next step is to install linux trickle daemon to simulate slow
> 3G data transfer while on the desktop :)

Umm. That's not really the issue...