Images and cloud storage

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Dec 3 22:53:49 PST 2015

On Fri, Dec 04, 2015 at 08:47:07AM +0200, Willem Ferguson wrote:
> On 03/12/2015 23:10, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> >If you want I can just blow the repo away and you can start from scratch
> >with a small one. Or you can use an alternative email address for a
> >second, smaller repo. Let me know.
>
> Please kill the repo. Will the credentials remain valid? I have plenty of
> local backup, so I definitely have no need for images in the Subsurface
> repo. The images were unintended.

Yes, credentials remain valid.
Repo has been re-initialized

> Question. The option of "synch dive log in background" is activated and I
> save dives to the Subsurface cloud with the images on a non-connected source
> (so the images are referenced in the log but they are not accessible). If,
> after saving to cloud, I now connect the drive with the images to view these
> images within Subsurface, would the background process see these images and
> synch them?

I don't think so.
But fundamentally we need to redesign this.

> About thumbnails. I think it would be super if it were possible to store
> thumbnails of the images in the repo. This would allow cursory inspection of
> the images associated with a dive, even if the full-size images are only
> available on an external drive that is not connected at that specific point
> in time. But even this is not an easy issue. I have been playing around with
> scaled down jpeg versions of some of my images and, for having a usable
> thumbnail, I cannot get the size of a 200 by 150 pixel image below about 3
> kB. If one has 1000 users each with 10000 images, the disk space required
> would still not be trivial at all and, for trigger-happy photographers, the
> thumbnails may easily need more space than the dive log itself. And in real
> life there may be more than 1000 users with images using the cloud storage.
> And then, from a software point of view, the thumbnails need to be created,
> stored and correctly referenced by Subsurface.

I'm not too worried about the storage (yeah right - whatever - I'm paying
so much for this hobby, what's a few extra TB of cloud data I pay for...).
The thumbnail creation really is easy. I just don't know if this is what I
want.

I'm thinking of going back to just not storing images in git, period.