Subsurface mobile and the GPS service

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Sat Dec 5 02:02:05 PST 2015

I have been playing around with the mobile GPS service (Android 4.3 on
Galaxy S3). I did this by activating the locations service before I went
on my Saturday morning errands, creating some dives by hand on Linux
Subsurface after returning from the errands, and then downloading the
locations and applying them to the hand-created "dives". Things appeared
to work more or less ok, but I will finally see when I use this while
diving a week from now.  A few comments on the UI.

1) When I activate Subsurface-mobile I get the screen on the left of the
attached image. The button at the bottom allows me to drag the screen to
the right, bringing up the middle screen in the attached image. Notice
that the options in the left hand screen are more or less duplicated in
the middle screen. As far as I can see, upon starting Subsurface-mobile,
the program should bring up the middle screen. If dives have not been
loaded (see top part of screen on left) this info should be shown when
one chooses the "View Log" option on the main menu.

2) The GPS menu on the right of the attached image: The option "Run
location service" appears three times, once on the main menu (middle
screen) and twice in the GPS menu (right screen). I suggest that it only
appears once (not 3x), and this should be in the GPS screen (on the
right). The checkbox is a friendly way for achieving this. The ultimate
would be if there is an icon in the icon bar at the top of the Android
screen indicating that the location service is running (in a similar way
to other services like Wifi), but this would probably belong to
finishing touches at the end of the development cycle.

3) Having used the location service, it is critical to be able to view
the individual GPS points and to be able to delete some of these points.
This is possible with the companion app and has simplified life for me
on countless occasions after performing back-to-back dives. Therefore in
the screen on the right in the attached image I would like to see an
additional item "View stored GPS data" just above the item "Apply GPS
data to dives". This option should, at a minimum, allow one to delete
some of the locations that may confuse Subsurface when applying the GPS
positions to dives.

I have not yet managed to download dives from the cloud.

I hope I do not sound slightly critical, this is great development you
are doing!
Kind regards,
willem