[pull request]: dive details rework

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Dec 7 10:59:16 PST 2015

On Mon, Dec 07, 2015 at 06:47:49PM +0000, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> Please pull from git at github.com:sebasje/subsurface.git
> branch "divedetailssplit".

Thank you. I'll do that over lunch :-)

> The plan was to split up viewing and editing the dives in order to make
> both modes work better for their purpose. (For example, we don't need the huge
> profile picture in the edit mode, since it can't be edited, anway.)
>
> This set of changes implements that. it puts the actions between viewing and
> editing into a right-hand-side drawer. You will now see the lower button
> having two arrows in the dive details view, and you can also draw the the left
> to reveal the right panel. This one holds contextual actions for the dive.
> (The left-hand-side panel is the global menu of the app.)
>
> I'm not sure if that's discoverable enough, though, but would like feedback on
> the approach. If it turns out to not be discoverable enough, I'll feed this
> info back to the usability and designers, and we'll put the actions in the top
> toolbar.

I really like this. But it requires one thing for sure - a "first start"
mode that does the annotated explanation of the UI. I'm sure you have seen
those - like a brief walk through with the main UI concepts demonstrated.

> Saving the new dive data has broken right now in master, and this patch-set
> unfortunately doesn't change that. Something we have to look into.

I can look into that as it is almost certainly core code that is broken,
not UI code... so if I investigate this you have more time to improve the
UI and everyone is happier :-)