Localities in Subsurface-mobile

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Dec 8 07:33:05 PST 2015

> On Dec 8, 2015, at 7:20 AM, Willem Ferguson <willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za> wrote:
>
> Question:
> How does the mobile app handle localities from the git repository? In exactly the same way as the desktop version? On mobile, my dive localities are not shown: just a "--" for the items in the dive list as well as on the profile screen. However, the dive list on mobile shows the appropriate locality at the top of the screen, I suspect taken from the trip header of the dive log. On the desktop side everything is ok. Inspecting the locality on desktop property reveals that a proper set of coordinates associated with the dive, confirmed by the marble display. One possibility is that mobile does not do the correct lookup in the locations database. I see that others, e.g. screenshot of John Smith little earlier did show proper locality.

For me on mobile I get the dive site name. So "Blue Corner", "Turtle Beach", etc. Don't you get those? It's a bit hard to tell from your description.

> I tried editing the locality field in the Edit Dive mode on mobile but, after selecting a different field after specifying the locality, this locality did not reflect on the profile screen.

As I said in my email yesterday, right now edit only works for buddy, dive master and suit.

I don't actually know how to handle dive site name edit on mobile. I remember the nightmarish back and forth with the dive site name on the desktop. I hope we aren't trying to implement the same complexity on the mobile app. But then again, I bet the dive site fans will want the whole nine yards on their phone as well... my take would be that all you can do is change the name which creates a new dive_site with the same other meta information and that new name... but I haven't even begun to consider what that means on the implementation side. I continue to just hate the whole dive site mess (but understand that this is a major feature for some and the only reason worth living).