Subsurface mobile - small issues.

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Thu Dec 10 10:18:36 PST 2015

A few comments on the latest download:

1) Upon activating the app, one lands on the landing page which is much
more simple than the other pages. Immediately upon opening this screen
it shows a message "No recorded dives found". However, it is still in
the process of loading the dives, and after four seconds the dives are
actually shown on the dive list. This needs correction. Maybe initially
the message should read something like "Searching for dive log...". If
the dive log can indeed not be found, then the message "No recorded
dives found" should be shown. Does this latter message mean "No local
dives found" or "No dives found locally and on the cloud storage"??

2) Now, the dives have been found and the dive list is shown. Then I
select a dive. This dive is first highlighted in a blue colour on the
list and then the profile screen is shown. If one sweeps to the right
one gets back to the dive list. The selected dive is still shown in blue
(correctly, in my opinion). Now select a second dive on the list. Again,
the dive is highlighted in blue and then the profile screen is shown.
Now do a sweep to the right again and the dive list is shown. However,
THE SELECTED DIVE IS NOT HIGHLIGHTED AS PREVIOUSLY. We need a consistent
interface.

3) I created a dive log with two trips to the same location, trips
separated by 6 months. The mobile app shows them as a single, long trip
lasting 6 months. Now I modify the dive log to have a single trip to a
different location during these 6 months, thus separating the two
original trips. Now, of course, the two initial trips are correctly
shown as two separate trips with the new trip in between. It looks like
the trip headers are not resolved correctly?

4) If I view the profile screen of a dive in the portrait (upright)
screen perspective and then turn the screen to landscape (flat)
perspective, I mostly see  dive list and a small part of the profile
screen. I would have expected that the profile screen would retain
focus. Now, with the profile screen having focus in landscape mode I
rotate the phone to portrait perspective... and the focus is moved to
the profile screen. I would have expected the dive list screen to retain
focus.

Three issues reflecting my own preference.

5) Given that screen estate on a mobile phone is worth gold, and if I
developed the display, I would have used a slightly smaller font for the
trip heading in the dive list and in the profile screen. In the dive
list I would have put the lines slightly closer together to show more
information on a single screen. But this is a personal preference of
mine. Also, in fairly bright light on a boat the grey font of the dive
list becomes a bit difficult to read because the contrast with the
background is less. maybe its just a thing on my phone?

6) The drag button icon, the arrow icons in the menus and submenus and
the Subsurface icon do not show up on my phone (Android Jelly Bean). I
see black squares.

7) I would have prettified the landing screen somewhat to be in the same
style as the other screens. But again this is a personal preference.

The above does not take away the fact that, within a remarkably short
time, we have a pretty well-functional mobile app. Really great stuff,
nothing short of amazing. Thank you for your time investment from which
we users benefit such a lot.
Kind regards,
willem