warning: cmake changes

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 12:58:34 PST 2015

On 16 December 2015 at 22:34, Tomaz Canabrava <tcanabrava at kde.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 6:19 PM, Lubomir I. Ivanov <neolit123 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On 16 December 2015 at 20:30, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
>> > master has most likely just been broken for you.
>> >
>> > That is intentional. It's been super quiet here so I figured I'd mix
>> > things up.
>> >
>> > Ok, that's not entirely true. It's much more that we needed to untangle
>> > the cmake files a bit more and this is the current status which seems to
>> > be mostly working but needs a lot more testing and almost certainly a
>> > few
>> > more fixes.
>> >
>> > But instead of keeping this in private branches I wanted to get this out
>> > so more people get exposed to it.
>> >
>> > So if you feel brave, give it a spin :-)
>> >

>> i spent 30 minutes trying to make it work but i gave up.
>>
>> scripts/gen-version.sh is not being found:
>>
>> it works if the following in cmake/Modules/version.cmake:
>> - COMMAND sh scripts/get-version ${VER_OS}
>> + COMMAND sh ../scripts/get-version ${VER_OS}
>> - COMMAND sh scripts/get-version linux
>> + COMMAND sh ../scripts/get-version linux
>> - COMMAND sh scripts/get-version full
>> + COMMAND sh ../scripts/get-version full
>> <similar pathing bellow>
>

>> but then desktop-widgets\updatemanager.cpp doesn't seem to find
>> subsurface-core/version.h (e.g. subsurface_get_version())
>>
>> is it me or cmake has turned the project build setup into a
>> complicated bloat-mess?
>

> Well, er...I'm the guilty of that.
>
> CMake has a better support than QMake on the community and it's what I was
> used to work because of KDE / Real work, so for me it's easier to work with.
>
> When I started the port to cmake, I made it because of a few reasons:
> 1 - I belive that CMake language is easier to understand than QMake language
> 2 - It has a better documentation.

i don't have much an opinion because i'm not a heavy cmake or qmake
user, but for simpler project i won't pick cmake over qmake.
i just think qmake is simpler to use.

when cmake just works, it's great; a lot of projects seem to use it nowadays...
when it doesn't, there are times when i just can't figure out where
the error comes from.

is it true that Qt is moving away from both cmake and qmake?

lubomir