warning: cmake changes

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Dec 16 13:14:01 PST 2015

> On Dec 16, 2015, at 12:58 PM, Lubomir I. Ivanov <neolit123 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> but then desktop-widgets\updatemanager.cpp doesn't seem to find
>>> subsurface-core/version.h (e.g. subsurface_get_version())

I'll look into that.

>>> is it me or cmake has turned the project build setup into a
>>> complicated bloat-mess?

Depends :-)

So it turns out that a lot of what we WANT to do was a lot harder with qmake - and
our qmake files because increasingly unmaintainable. The cmake migration didn't
go as smoothly as I had hoped. As always, it's a learning curve. And quite frankly,
there are issues with the debuggability of cmake execution. It's sometimes a bit
hard to figure out what's going on and there's no debug mode where it would show
you what it read, what it tried, and why it failed.

I've become pretty good at adding "message(STATUS ....)" stances to the cmake
files and with that I can usually debug things fairly quickly. And when Tomaz and
I work together we usually figure things out fairly swiftly.

>> Well, er...I'm the guilty of that.
>>
>> CMake has a better support than QMake on the community and it's what I was
>> used to work because of KDE / Real work, so for me it's easier to work with.
>>
>> When I started the port to cmake, I made it because of a few reasons:
>> 1 - I belive that CMake language is easier to understand than QMake language
>> 2 - It has a better documentation.
>>

> i don't have much an opinion because i'm not a heavy cmake or qmake
> user, but for simpler project i won't pick cmake over qmake.
> i just think qmake is simpler to use.

Easy things are easier in qmake. No doubt. But hard things (and what we do,
build two different targets on several different OSs in several different ways with
several different ways to find packages and also support cross compiling) is
getting really really hard.

> when cmake just works, it's great; a lot of projects seem to use it nowadays...
> when it doesn't, there are times when i just can't figure out where
> the error comes from.
>
> is it true that Qt is moving away from both cmake and qmake?

That was the rumor. Thiago might know more