Blacked out icons on Subsurface-mobile

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Dec 18 17:07:02 PST 2015

> On Dec 18, 2015, at 4:55 PM, Rick Walsh <rickmwalsh at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On 19 December 2015 at 11:49, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org <mailto:dirk at hohndel.org>> wrote:
>
>> On Dec 18, 2015, at 3:39 PM, Rick Walsh <rickmwalsh at gmail.com <mailto:rickmwalsh at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I reported this a while back, but does anybody know why I get blacked out icons in the menu and for the drawer icon with Subsurface-mobile?  I assume it isn't just me.
>>
>> Running on Samsung Galaxy S6, Android 5.1.1.
>>
>> Attached screenshot is from the latest daily, 4.2.463.
>>

> No, it's not just you. And I don't think we understand what is causing
> this. Can you attach with "adb logcat" and see if there is anything
> useful in the log? None of my devices show this behavior...
>
> Sorry, my knowledge of debugging on Android is non-existent.  Can you tell me how I would do that?

Install the Android SDK (you don't need Android Studio)

http://developer.android.com/sdk/installing/index.html <http://developer.android.com/sdk/installing/index.html>

there are tons of HowTos on the network. Here's one, there are many more http://www.howtogeek.com/125769/how-to-install-and-use-abd-the-android-debug-bridge-utility/ <http://www.howtogeek.com/125769/how-to-install-and-use-abd-the-android-debug-bridge-utility/>

All you need to be able to do is
a) enable USB debug on your phone
b) connect the phone to the computer
c) start adb logcat

You can get extra fancy and filter the output, something like

adb logcat -s Subsurface:V

Makes sense?