black squares instead of icons

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Dec 24 14:11:45 PST 2015

So I have spent way too much time trying to track this down. I still don't
fully understand it - and the complexity of the way the mobilecomponents
work doesn't really help, nor does my inability to easily get debug output
from QML code... every programing language I've ever worked with had a
very easy way to just print something to the console to help you figure
out what's going on. No idea how I'd do that from QML.

Anyway, on some devices - not sure why and when and how - the mobile app
doesn't find the bundled resources. The odd thing is that it finds the
dive.jpg - but not the subsurface-mobile-icon.png, nor the various .svg
for the buttons, arrows, etc. My initial suspicion was that this had
something to do with resolution but since many of these files are .svg
files that doesn't seem reasonable. And since the resources are included
in the application I don't think it's a file system permission error,
either.

If I were able to create debug output from within the .qml files I could
try to figure out what the complete path is that is assembled in
mobilecomponents/Icon.qml - my only working hypothesis is that under some
circumstance that ends up not creating the correct relative path - but
that's extremely weak.

At this point I consider this the main blocker to take this app out as an
alpha release. I've spent two days on this and have no further ideas what
to investigate.

Help