Alpha testing Android apk

Miika Turkia miika.turkia at gmail.com
Sat Dec 26 12:09:43 PST 2015

Hello all,

some random notes from my first run with the Alpha version of
Subsurface-mobile from play store. I started by un-installing the side
loaded app before going for the play store. First impression is pretty
good, but naturally there are some issues that could be improved.

- While typing in cloud credentials, the password is shown, no matter
whether it is selected to be show on not
- Download of dive log started only on my second time saving the cloud
credentials. Since the download did not begin initially, I checked the
credentials were correct and saved again.
+ Now download started and was finished in a few minutes, a couple of
hours shaved off from download time. Excellent! (Or was the git repo
still on my device from earlier sync?)
- The brief black screen when starting up could use a splash screen instead
- The profile shows that I have info from multiple DCs, however one
cannot currently switch between the profiles. So maybe disable the
text showing multiple DCs (until we support them properly). The DC
text also overlaps the time scale at the bottom of the profile.
- Margins on profile (when on landscape or portrait mode) are a bit
off, missing parts of the texts on the edges (see screenshot)
- When switching to portrait mode, the screen is left split between
divelist and profile.
- The title bar should probably read Subsurface-mobile. When returning
to the app this is the text that is shown while selecting the app, but
when the app is actually running, the title bar reads Subsurface.
- Disable verbose (for adb logcat) could use a check box instead of
changing the disable/enable text
- A notification/alert if GPS is turned off should be shown when one
enables location service
- Enabling/disabling location service is a bit tricky occasionally.
Sometimes the sidebar is just closed on me, sometimes the checkbox
status is changed and sidebar is closed, and third option is that just
the checkbox is ticked/unticked.
- Tapping the Subsurface logo on the top bar could bring the side
menu, this seems to be quite common with some other apps (well, they
usually have the three vertical bars to mark the menu button).
- I don't seem to be able to show the dives when I start
Subsurface-mobile without Internet connection - we need off-line mode
(as was mentioned in some e-mail IIRC).

Installation from play store was very easy and convenient having a
direct link to the app (search did not find subsurface-mobile). In
general, this seems to be sufficient to carry a log on a trip. It just
would be great to be able to test properly the GPS logging..need to
plan a dive trip, I suppose :D

miika