Alpha testing Android apk

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sat Dec 26 13:46:07 PST 2015

> On Dec 26, 2015, at 12:09 PM, Miika Turkia <miika.turkia at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> some random notes from my first run with the Alpha version of
> Subsurface-mobile from play store. I started by un-installing the side
> loaded app before going for the play store. First impression is pretty
> good, but naturally there are some issues that could be improved.

Yes, a long list.
Thanks for all the feedback.

> - While typing in cloud credentials, the password is shown, no matter
> whether it is selected to be show on not

Really? Not for me. I just tried again, removed the app, reinstalled from
the play store... nope, I see fat dots unless I select show password
Which Android version? Is this possibly an OS setting?

> - Download of dive log started only on my second time saving the cloud
> credentials. Since the download did not begin initially, I checked the
> credentials were correct and saved again.

Did you have a chance to look at the log when that happened?
Either with adb logcat or in the left drawer under Developer->App log

I try to be fairly verbose there so we can tell what's going on

> + Now download started and was finished in a few minutes, a couple of
> hours shaved off from download time. Excellent! (Or was the git repo
> still on my device from earlier sync?)

How big is that repo? Is this still your 1.6G one or a newly created one
without all the pictures?

> - The brief black screen when starting up could use a splash screen instead

Definitely. I played with this but ran out of time. There are SO MANY
things that I'm playing with. So many ways to improve the Android app.
It would be great if more people helped out making this better.

> - The profile shows that I have info from multiple DCs, however one
> cannot currently switch between the profiles. So maybe disable the
> text showing multiple DCs (until we support them properly). The DC
> text also overlaps the time scale at the bottom of the profile.

The scaling of the profile I think is much better now, but still at times...
awkward. Causing clipped text, etc. I continue to try to mess with it
to get consistent results on devices with different screen resolutions.
I know have five different Android devices that I experiment with which
have a reasonably wide range of dpi values. Still not happy.

Good catch on the multiple dive computer thing. Definitely something
we should turn off for now.

> - Margins on profile (when on landscape or portrait mode) are a bit
> off, missing parts of the texts on the edges (see screenshot)

See previous comment

> - When switching to portrait mode, the screen is left split between
> divelist and profile.

Hmm, yeah, I just noticed that. You can fix this by horizontal scrolling,
but I'm sure we can make this look better in the app.

> - The title bar should probably read Subsurface-mobile. When returning
> to the app this is the text that is shown while selecting the app, but
> when the app is actually running, the title bar reads Subsurface.

Good catch. I'll figure out where that is displayed and change it.

> - Disable verbose (for adb logcat) could use a check box instead of
> changing the disable/enable text

Umm, err, yes. I tried that. And for the life of me couldn't get it to
work. I was going to ask Sebastian about that...

> - A notification/alert if GPS is turned off should be shown when one
> enables location service

Yes, true. I'll add that to my todo list :-/

> - Enabling/disabling location service is a bit tricky occasionally.
> Sometimes the sidebar is just closed on me, sometimes the checkbox
> status is changed and sidebar is closed, and third option is that just
> the checkbox is ticked/unticked.

Hmm, I haven't experienced that. I'll need to play with that more,
I guess.

> - Tapping the Subsurface logo on the top bar could bring the side
> menu, this seems to be quite common with some other apps (well, they
> usually have the three vertical bars to mark the menu button).

I think the little magic button in the bottom center is a feature that
Sebastian introduced instead of that... we can debate what it is
that we want to use in the app. I'm quite happy with the current
design, frankly... we should settle on this fairly soon so we don't
keep changing the user experience.

> - I don't seem to be able to show the dives when I start
> Subsurface-mobile without Internet connection - we need off-line mode
> (as was mentioned in some e-mail IIRC).

Also on my todo list. I know that this worked at some point. I'll
get it working again.

> Installation from play store was very easy and convenient having a
> direct link to the app (search did not find subsurface-mobile). In
> general, this seems to be sufficient to carry a log on a trip. It just
> would be great to be able to test properly the GPS logging..need to
> plan a dive trip, I suppose :D

Me, too. Especially since I got a very very light new reg for Christmas.
In manly PINK. But I digress.