Alpha testing Android apk

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Dec 27 07:48:03 PST 2015

> On Dec 27, 2015, at 4:03 AM, Willem Ferguson <willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za> wrote:
>
> On 26/12/2015 23:46, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>>> On Dec 26, 2015, at 12:09 PM, Miika Turkia <miika.turkia at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> - While typing in cloud credentials, the password is shown, no matter
> On 5.2.498 this happens to me as well. The pw text appears in the text box regardless of setting below when one
> hits the SAVE button, all the pw characters are changed to dots.

Like with the other bugs
a) once I can reproduce them, I'm much more likely to fix them. And this one I don't see on ANY of my devices (and I have quite a pile by now)
b) would someone PLEASE be able to provide me the adb logcat output when  this happens?

>>> - Download of dive log started only on my second time saving the cloud
>>> credentials. Since the download did not begin initially, I checked the
>>> credentials were correct and saved again.
> I can confirm this. My experience was that after specifying the cloud credentials,
> Subsurface-mobile did not continue to load the cloud data. I needed to kill
> the program first. When restarted, it loaded the dive list. BUT: IN MY CASE
> I suspect it is slow Internet speed and it cannot load the dives because
> it cannot make the Internet connection. I have lately installed ssrf-mobile
> repeatedly to reproduce the earlier problems, but at the moment the ISP
> is reasonably fast and it loads the dives every time. I will continue to check
> this out.

Again, these reports are a LOT more useful with logcat output. I know that once we have the app in wider circulation this won't be a reasonable thing to ask for. But right now with this group I was really hoping that this would be a reasonable request.

>>> - Margins on profile (when on landscape or portrait mode) are a bit
>>> off, missing parts of the texts on the edges (see screenshot)
> In portrait view, the left and bottom margins are clipped, obscuring depth values on
> Y-axis and dive computer name below X-axis. In landsape view the profile is
> more or less perfect except for the dive computer name that is still clipped.

Yes, the scaling still has issues and it makes absolutely no sense to me why that is the case. Why it works for some situation and not for others.

>>> - When switching to portrait mode, the screen is left split between
>>> divelist and profile.
> Confirm. For me it creates bad user experience.
>
>>> - A notification/alert if GPS is turned off should be shown when one
>>> enables location service
> After saving the GPS positions, please show a notification, something like
> "14 GPS positions uploaded", even only min application log.

Sure, easy enough to do.

> After GPS-tagging dives, please show notifications, something like
> "4 dives GPS-tagged", even only in application log.

Again, easy to do.

Right now the problem is "one single person who doesn't really know what he's doing is working on this". Unless more people get involved I don't think it's realistic to expect we'll be successful.

> If a dive has a GPS location, would it be possible to print this info on
> the profile panel just after the date/time (even just in the interim)??
> This will help tremendously in seeing when GPS-tagging has worked.
> The current underlining of the dive site name is helpful but not definitive.

What do you mean "not definitive". The location is underlined If and Only If you have GPS data. Is this the best possible visualization? Heck no. But it is quite definitively definitive.

> I have not managed to GPS-tag my new dives yet, but I am struggling to
> get hold of an Android version later than 4.3. I continue to try...

I have it working here just fine on a Nexus 7 running 4.2

> Currently I do not have any dive site names for the dives that need
> to be GPS-tagged. The text box is empty. In the Companion app,
> the dive site name is supplied by the location server. I assume the
> same approach applies here, or could this be a source of problems?

Having names isn't needed to combine dives and GPS locations. Which of the possible workflows are you trying? Applying the GPS locations stored by Subsurface-mobile inside of Subsurface-mobile? Or uploading / downloading them from the server?

>>> - Enabling/disabling location service is a bit tricky occasionally.
>>> Sometimes the sidebar is just closed on me, sometimes the checkbox
>>> status is changed and sidebar is closed, and third option is that just
>>> the checkbox is ticked/unticked.
> This has been running smoothly for me.
>
> I have not received any notifications. I use the original URL provided via email
> in order to re-install (i.e. after manual removal of Subsurface-mobile).

Yes, the update notification for the closed alpha test seem not to be working.