FYI. Email to UDDF specification owners.

Long, Martin martin at longhome.co.uk
Sun Feb 1 16:01:59 PST 2015

To: kai at streit.cc
CC:
rai at virtual-sub.org
stephan.veigl at aquadivelog.org
streit at streit.cc
borisboesler at users.sourceforge.net
jefdriesen at telenet.be
pmareschal at yahoo.com
daniel at mohni.net
creinders at frobese.de
sandra.sterner at gmx.net
wrobell at pld-linux.org

Hi,

Please accept my apologies for the distribution of this email. I want
it to reach the correct person responsible for the maintenance of the
UDDF specification and XSD schema files.

I have been working with the developers of the Subsurface application
on bringing the UDDF export in line with the UDDF 3.2.0 specification.
During this process I've come across a number of inconsistencies
between the UDDF specification as laid out on the site, and the XSD
schema files provided.

There have been a number of cases where we have had to make a decision
in order to complete the work, however, these patches are fairly new,
so we can reverse them.

I have detailed the discrepancies below.

xsd line 1147: "equipmentused" is part of the "informationafterdive"
element. However, in the spec it appears as part of the
"informationbeforedive".
(see: http://www.streit.cc/extern/uddf_v320/en/sections_profiledata.html)

xsd line 1554: rating is not optional (no minOccurs=0)
in specifiction it reads as "optional, multiple" (see:
http://www.streit.cc/extern/uddf_v320/en/rating.html)

xsd line 1571: choice of accomodation or operator & vessel. All are
optional in the spec, but the choice isn't marked as "minOccurs=0" in
the XSD. This means that one or the other must be provided. That data
may not be available.

xsd line 989: "tripmembership" is a type "linkType". To meet this
requirement it needs to be specified as
<tripmembership ref="tripidp15555120"/>
whereas in the documentation it is give as
<tripmembership>Dive Trip Red Sea 2006</tripmembership>

(note also that this does not meet the IDREF requirements as it
contains spaces).
(see: www.streit.cc/extern/uddf_v320/en/tripmembership.html)

xsd line 596: "link" is not markes as "minOccurs=0". It is not clear
from the spec if this should be mandatory. However, examples generally
do not include this reference. The reference tends to be from the site
to the base only.

If I have misunderstood the documentation in some way, please let me
know. Otherwise, please let me know if I can do anything or provide
any further info. I'd appreciate guidance in which is correct, the xsd
or the documentation.

Best regards
Martin Long (Subsurface project)