creating an FAQ

Miika Turkia miika.turkia at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 21:56:27 PST 2015

On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 12:49 AM, Davide DB <dbdavide at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 1, 2015 at 10:45 PM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
> >

> > Thanks for the ZERO contributions. That really makes me excited to spend
> > my time on Subsurface.
> >
> > In the meantime I put up an initial FAQ on the website. If you have ideas
> > what should be added, or would like to propose a better answer, please
> let
> > me know.

Q: Why is Subsurface not able to download my dives?

Clean the contacts! Clean the contacts again! Check with other software
that the download works in general. Try another cable. See our user manual
for pairing with BT and the general use case.

Q: Why Subsurface freezes on import/export?

Depending on the amount of data, converting the log to the desired
output/input might take a looong time. Unfortunately the import currently
seems to freeze the UI for this duration. The export is done on a different
thread and it is most likely running in the back ground with no hint on
when it is complete :(

Q: Why is the CSV import failing

The CSV import has a couple of caveats. You should avoid some special
characters
like ampersand (&), less than (<), greater than (>) and double quotes ("),
the latter if quoting text cells. The
file should use UTF-8 character set, if having non-ASCII characters. Also
the
size of the CSV file might cause problems. Importing 100 dives at a time
(without dive profile) has worked previously, but larger files might exceed
limits of the parser used. When having problems with CSV imports, try first
with
a smaller sample to make sure everything works.

Q: Editing dive sites

Q: Multiuser usage

Store logs of different users to separate log files. From Subsurface, you
can open individual files for different divers and multiple users is
supported quite well.

We are currently looking for fields named DateTimeOriginal and DateTime
from the Exif header and use those to detect if the image was shot
during the dive or not. If the picture is edited, you should store the
original Exif information on the new/edited image for it to be loaded
properly.

Insufficient privileges to open device

My old log software is not supported for import

If your old log software supports exporting the log book, we might well be
able to import that. However, usually a native support for importing that
format will give more complete information into Subsurface.To implement
support for the log format, we will need a sample log file. It would be
great to have also a screenshot from the original log software or
description of the dive that is shown on the sample log. Preferably we
would like to have a reasonably simple dive to get basic support and
another dive that has as many features enabled as possible (e.g. gas
changes during the dive). This information should be sent to the developer
mailing list subsurface at subsurface-divelog.org (but e.g. user forum can be
used as well). Unfortunately some of the log formats we have not been able
to decipher, so there are no guarantees that this will bring support for
your old log software, but it is worth a try.

My dive computer is not supported

miika