Subsurface 4.4 released

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Feb 4 09:33:33 PST 2015

After a couple of false starts where my scripts tripped over themselves I
believe I have all the binaries up and ready. Sources have been uploaded,
tags are pushed. New branches for our flavors of Marble and libdivecomputer
have been pushed as well.

Speaking of tags, while I call this 4.4, it was tagged as 4.4.0 because a
lot of our tooling does silly things if we change the number of digits in
our tags all the time...

I'm about to post the release announcement, I'll slowly go through the
website to make sure I make any adjustments that are needed.

This was a quicker release cycle than the previous few:

	3.1 -> 4.0 ~ 7 months
	4.0 -> 4.1 ~ 5 months
	4.1 -> 4.2 ~ 3 months
	4.2 -> 4.3 ~ 4 months
	4.3 -> 4.4 ~ 7 weeks

Nevertheless, the new features and improvements we have added are quite
impressive.

As always at this spot, a few thank yous are due:

Miika and Anton... wow guys, you were on fire. Excellent work. Give me
more :-)

As always, Tomaz, we couldn't do it without you.

All the translators, Willem for the documentation, I know this fast cycle
was tough on you. BTW: the amount of changes to the translations in the
last 48h is just jaw dropping. Thanks to all of you.

As a small lowlight, very very few people tested the betas. So few that I
am wondering if it's worth bothering with doing them. That means there may
be a few bad bugs still hiding.

Let's see what our users are thinking, I'm quite excited about this
release but the response from the actual users will really tell us where
we are.

In closing, the usual meaningless statistics. With the usual caveat that
my number is way overstated as it includes quite a few commits that are
merging translations, dealing with the build infrastructure, random small
things.

$ git shortlog -s -n v4.3..
   191  Dirk Hohndel
   109  Miika Turkia