GSoC 2015

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Feb 4 14:21:42 PST 2015

On Wed, Feb 04, 2015 at 11:11:21PM +0100, Anton Lundin wrote:
> On 04 February, 2015 - Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>
> > So here are some ideas that I have seen...
> >
> > - more flexible print formatting
> >   Something template based that the user can modify
> >
> > - unit testing
> >   We have a start, but this needs a lot more work
> >
> > - asset management
> >   Ability to manage all the equipment that a diver has with them on a
> >   dive, including grouping, tracking weights, etc
> >
> > - more work on the Android full Subsurface
> >   Implement useful dialogs with QML or QtWidgets. NOT build a new UI, but
> >   tune the existing UI to be more Android/touch friendly
> >
> > - adding integration with more online logbooks
> >   There are several more out there that have an API
> >

> > What else?
>
> After a re-read of
> http://trac.hohndel.org/wiki/Subsurface_GSOC_2014_Idea_List
>
> * Continuous Integration Framework
>
> I know that you cooked something for the daily builds. Do you think
> there is something left there worth looking at as a gsoc project?

No - what I have works for what I need and makes my job easy. I don't see
any value in having someone develop a competing system.

> * Native Windows/Linux/OS-X Bluetooth rfcomm
>
> The Windows and Linux parts are pretty straight forward. The OS-X bits
> are a mess, because rfcomm isn't a socket api there...

Yes, that should be added. I have a promise to get a Mac BT implementation
soon. Windows and Linux still have to be addressed.

> * UI/UX polish? Especially the planner...

Having random students work on the UI is unlikely to get us ahead unless
we have specific wirefeames that they can implement...

/F