CCR dive logs for APD

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Fri Feb 6 22:11:06 PST 2015

Hallo Miika,

I started a discussion earlier about catering for APD equipment. The APD
dive logs are classical CSV files that can import into the existing CCR
code straight-out without any modification. The headings are:

Dive_time (s)
Depth (m)
Setpoint (bar)
o2 sensor 1 (bar)
o2 sensor 2 (bar)
o2 sensor 3 (bar)
po2_calculated (bar)
..
..
Amb_temp (C)
Deco-ceiling (m)

All these fit straight into our existing structures.

My suggestion is that, if a CSV dive log file has an extension of .apd
or .APD then it is taken as an APD log.

As I indicated, for APD, there are two independent dive computers that
are logged simultaneously. In the proprietary APD software, results from
both computers are displayed for a particular dive. Within Subsurface
this will not be easy. But we could deal with this situation by treating
it as two separate dive computers as they physically are during the
dive. The most painless approach would be to ask the diver whether
computer 1 or computer 2 should be imported. This implies a dialogue
panel. If the diver wishes, then both computers could be imported
sequentially, just as we currently do for multiple computers during the
same dive. So, before one proceeds, a policy decision is required on how
to deal with the 2-computer situation. From a diver perspective one
should by default import both computers. From the perspective of the
existing code it is probably easier to opt for a sequential type of
import. This is the only substantial issue. For the rest, the import
should be almost trivial.

What do you think?
Kind regards,
willem