CCR dive logs for APD

Miika Turkia miika.turkia at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 00:28:40 PST 2015

On Sat, Feb 7, 2015 at 8:11 AM, Willem Ferguson <
willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za> wrote:

> Hallo Miika,
>
> I started a discussion earlier about catering for APD equipment. The APD
> dive logs are classical CSV files that can import into the existing CCR
> code straight-out without any modification. The headings are:
>
> Dive_time (s)
> Depth (m)
> Setpoint (bar)
> o2 sensor 1 (bar)
> o2 sensor 2 (bar)
> o2 sensor 3 (bar)
> po2_calculated (bar)
> ..
> ..
> Amb_temp (C)
> Deco-ceiling (m)
>
> All these fit straight into our existing structures.
>
> My suggestion is that, if a CSV dive log file has an extension of .apd or
> .APD then it is taken as an APD log.

Is .apd default extension when exporting the logs from APD? The sample file
we currently have goes with extension .csv. If the default extension is
.apd then we need to add this to our supported extensions and add triggers
for proper handling when we see this extension.

> As I indicated, for APD, there are two independent dive computers that are
> logged simultaneously. In the proprietary APD software, results from both
> computers are displayed for a particular dive. Within Subsurface this will
> not be easy. But we could deal with this situation by treating it as two
> separate dive computers as they physically are during the dive. The most
> painless approach would be to ask the diver whether computer 1 or computer
> 2 should be imported. This implies a dialogue panel. If the diver wishes,
> then both computers could be imported sequentially, just as we currently do
> for multiple computers during the same dive. So, before one proceeds, a
> policy decision is required on how to deal with the 2-computer situation.
> From a diver perspective one should by default import both computers. From
> the perspective of the existing code it is probably easier to opt for a
> sequential type of import. This is the only substantial issue. For the
> rest, the import should be almost trivial.

I would like to go to the direction that is most beneficial for the users.
Importing both computers in one go the way we currently download from
multiple dive computers should be very easy to implement. I actually think
this to be even easier than letting the user to select which one to import
:D

I see two quite easy options to implement. One is to just import both DCs
on one go (we call the CSV import twice with different column
configuration, invisible to the user). The other option is to have APD1 and
APD2 on the dropdown menu for known CSV import. This would allow the user
to select which one to import and would be require quite minimal
changes..and user could run the import twice to get both DCs in. Both of
these approaches will probably require us to add support for variable DC
name and probably some other tweaks that I don't foresee, but I still
expect both of these options to be fairly easy.

Your suggestion for an additional dialog should be quite straight forward
as well. All of these approaches are quite fine by me, but (as said) I
would really like to take a path that is most useful (and convenient) for
the users.

miika