Subsurface Statistics Panel

Davide DB dbdavide at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 08:15:51 PST 2015

Hi all,

4.4 is out so I thought to gave my input on some new features could be
implemented in the 10.0 release :)

Obviously I do not pretend this is the design. My wire-frames are just a
starting point, few ideas where users and developers could start
brainstorming.

*Multi-filter*

First of all I will try to continue where we left with the multi-filter
component. I remember Tomaz wrote that is easily extensible with new
filters.

It's easy to see that right now it's not complete. The most important
filter missing is a date range control. Moreover, we do not have filters
for the most important dive parameters: depth and duration.
Hence my try at it:

http://i.imgur.com/tix3ImE.png

   - Date range filter
   - Depth slider
   - Run-time/duration slider

I used a slider because it saves a lot of H space hence we could fit more
controls ;)

Requirements:

- All three filters should be initialized with min - max values taken form
the logbook.

How many dives I filtered?
Another important string missing is the:

*"You selected/filtered XX dives so far..."*

because if you select a large number of dives (probably bigger than the
dive-list table vertical space) it's not easy counting them.
If there is no filtering in action the string is:

*"You have 523 dives logged"*

*Statistics*

You access to Statistics view from:

   1. "Statistics" button on the Multi-filter panel
   2. Key combination (Crtl+XX)
   3. View menu item.

Statistics view is always linked (displayed) with the Multi-Filter panel.
By default the panel in actions #2 and #3 opens the statistics panel
initialized with the full logbook.
In action #1, it initializes itself with the data filtered by the
Multi-filter component *(*)*

As you saw in the opening wireframes  the "dive info" panel lacks of the
"stats" tab. It's not a mistake. I removed it. It will be substituted  by
this new panel.
Moreover I always found it misleading because it's a tab of the dive info
panel but it could contain stats for several of them if they are selected
form the dive list. No please.

Designing the main statistic panel we can have two approach:

   1. Tabbed pane: a classic but maybe somehow obsolete design. It gives
   the maximum horizontal space, wasting very few vertical space.
   2. Master details pattern: modern UI but it waste a lot of horizontal
   space.

Both approach have the benefits that you could implements statistics in
several steps (adding tabs/items) and the UI seems complete.

Master details pattern:

http://i.imgur.com/GdH6psp.png

On following attempts I used the tabbed pane.

*Statistic views*

In the last weeks I tested several desktop and online logbooks. When it
comes to statistics most of them have an "All you can eat" approach
displaying tons of charts although only few of them being meaningful.
Here I selected those I find more useful (IMHO). A rose is a rose hence
it's difficult to be original on some of them.

*Overall/General/Outline*

http://i.imgur.com/sDGavon.png

Nearly all logbooks have a Overall view giving general statistics on the
logbook owner so we can't be different on this :)
Actually it's similar to the current "stats" tab.
I did not try to layout labels right now. It's just a list of what we could
have here:

   -
   - Num of dives (where/when)
   - Total  time diving (where/when)
   - Max / Min duration (where/when)
   - Max / Min depth (where/when)
   - Max / Min temperature (where/when)
   - Most dove spot/location
   - Average depth & average time
   - How many trips
   - Most used tank
   -
   - Total amount of gas used:
      - Air: xxx
      - He: yyy
      - O2: zzz

Based on space available we could use the lowest part of this panel view to
draw a chart...(the time goes by chart described later)

*Grid view*

http://i.imgur.com/zWiKVCq.png

a grid showing number of dives for a particular month in a given year.

After laying out the grid I realized that months are always 12 so we could
swap Years and Months on X/Y axis to avoid scrollbars...

*Map View*

http://i.imgur.com/o8IP4Ho.png

I took this idea form an online logbook (diveaboard.com) and I saw this
bubbles in other google maps based projects. (a local newspaper here in
Italy use the same bubbles to display news location).
Basically it gives you the concentration of your dives. Each color bubble
indicate/aggregates a number-of-dives range. I do not know if this is
possible with Marble/Openstreetmap.
Bubbles scales according to the map zoom. I can give you more examples if
you are interested.

Once you zoom-in after a certain scale you get a single dive spot view like
our current Marble map.
We are not editing dives here so it would be nice that once I hoover on a
given dive spot I get a small box with main dive details.
Inside this small box I could have a link/button to the real dive info.
Of course, once I click I will abandon the statistics view and I go to our
classic view.
I could try to make a wire-frame for this.

*Time goes by view*

http://i.imgur.com/ybpmZ2e.png

Despite of the funny name I gave it this is maybe the most classical
statistic view: number of dives through the time.

I saw many logbooks wasting screens using two separate graphs for months
and years.

I would like having just one chart which mimics sparklines charts: micro
columns/bar charts.
I show two examples of what I mean. (one is the Soundcloud chart).

Our chart would have:

- Each mont is one bar., one year 12 bars
- Months are grouped by year using alternate colors: (two shades of gray)
12 months light gray and 12 months dark gray.
- Max/Min values (month with most/least dives and year with most/least
dives) are indicated by special colors as in the example.
- We could give extra info just hoovering on bars and having a info box
like the current dive profile.

- Some of overall stats tab could be moved here and indicated by a bar of a
special color.
- This chart could be moved in the overall tab lowest position.

*DDS view (Depth, Duration, SAC)*

http://i.imgur.com/7uXP6qS.png

Most of logbooks use have 5 charts (at least) for this view plotting depth
and duration both on x and y-axis...

IMHO having depth and duration on y-axis is completely meaningless while
having them on x-axis is useful.

SAC is the only stats is worth having on x-axis showing evoluton os gas
consumption through experience.

I would like having just one chart. On the wireframe I draw two charts just
to show the difference on X-Y axis.

*Pie view*

http://i.imgur.com/D0fAH8I.png

Whatever can be represented by a pie chart should go here.
I found:

   - Deco/Curve
   - Ripetitive dive Y/n
   - Sea/Fresh water dive
   - OC/CCR/PSCR/Free dive
   - DC Model
   - Countries

*Buddies view*

http://i.imgur.com/hB2T8qa.png

You can get buddies and dives from the list-box control in the multifilter
but this table it's nice (IMHO)

It's all for now :)

***
Based on filter selection some statistics charts could be impossible to
calculate or display.
UI should take care to disable that views that lacks of meaning.

--
Davide
https://vimeo.com/bocio/videos