F-Secure blocking Subsurface

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Feb 8 08:19:41 PST 2015

On February 8, 2015 7:57:56 AM Benjamin <nystire at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8 Feb 2015 17:55, "Krzysztof Arentowicz" <karent.bug at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I got a report from a user that on his machine Subsurface was blocked by
> F-Secure's Deep Guard heurestic.
> > Policy settings prevented him from disabling this functionality, so he
> was unable to run Subsurface.
> > I cannot reproduce as I don't have access to a machine with such
> configuration but I'm letting you now in case this is not an isolated case.
> >
> > This was reported on Windows7 Pro 64 bit
> > F-Secure Client Security 11.60 build 284
> > F-Secure Anti-Virus 9.51 build 131
> >
> > as
> >
> > Suspicious: W32/Malware!Gemini
> > https://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/suspicious_w32_malware_gemini.shtml
> >

> The latest version of Avast also blocks it.

Anti Virus software is such a load of crap.
The whole concept of fingerprints is just totally bogus. No, there is no
virus in the binaries. They are built from source without a single
component that isn't built from scratch. On a Linux box.

Please have the person reporting this submit a false positive report to
their vendor of choice.

I believe this has already been done for avast, apparently needs to be done
for fsecure as well.