Subsurface Statistics Panel

Davide DB dbdavide at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 09:04:08 PST 2015

On Sun, Feb 8, 2015 at 8:13 PM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> It is missing? I don't think so. At least I can see it in Subsurface 4.4
> Did you check?

My fault :)
I was looking too much to other logbooks and I miss it!

> In the last weeks I tested several desktop and online logbooks. When it
> > comes to statistics most of them have an "All you can eat" approach
> > displaying tons of charts although only few of them being meaningful.
> > Here I selected those I find more useful (IMHO). A rose is a rose hence
> > it's difficult to be original on some of them.
>
> The biggest problem to me is that more is not always better. Every new
> tab, every new graph, every new statistic adds more code, more bugs, more
> testing...

I agree with you

> > *Overall/General/Outline*
> >
> > http://i.imgur.com/sDGavon.png
> >
> > Nearly all logbooks have a Overall view giving general statistics on the
> > logbook owner so we can't be different on this :)
>
> Actually, yes we can, but I'll go along with you...
>
> > Actually it's similar to the current "stats" tab.
> > I did not try to layout labels right now. It's just a list of what we
> could
> > have here:
> >
> >    - Num of dives (where/when)
> >    - Total  time diving (where/when)
> >    - Max / Min duration (where/when)
> >    - Max / Min depth (where/when)
> >    - Max / Min temperature (where/when)
>
> What does "where/when" mean in all of those?

e.g.

574 dives - latest: Barracuda Point on 15/01/2015

Max dive runtime at Block Island on 13/07/2012
Min dive runtime at Frozen Reeff on 13/07/2010

And so on.
Where/when on total time diving is a copy&paste error

> >    - Most dove spot/location
> >    - Average depth & average time
>
> Define average depth, please. Is this the mean depth of all the dives, or
> the mean of the max depths of all the dives? We've had this confusion
> before...

I guess  mean depth of all the dives.

> >    - How many trips
> >    - Most used tank
> >    -
> >    - Total amount of gas used:
> >       - Air: xxx
> >       - He: yyy
> >       - O2: zzz
> >
> > Based on space available we could use the lowest part of this panel view
> > draw a chart...(the time goes by chart described later)
>
> I think this is already a ton of information... and I worry about text
> only information as we have it on the stats tab. This often results in a
> very hard to absorb UI. So that's why I said above "we can decide not to
> have this 'overview'".

I agree that mixing  text info and a chart is not the best solution.
This is the classic entry point for statistics. It's like a scuba CV with
outline data.
All logbooks desktop/online have something like this and some divers use
this like a badge.
This outline screen would be the best candidate for social network
integration or even  a front-page of html export.

Please do not touch the Anton's overall gas info of which I'm particulary
fond of :)

> > *Map View*
> >
> > http://i.imgur.com/o8IP4Ho.png
> >

> > I took this idea form an online logbook (diveaboard.com) and I saw this
> > bubbles in other google maps based projects. (a local newspaper here in
> > Italy use the same bubbles to display news location).
> > Basically it gives you the concentration of your dives. Each color bubble
> > indicate/aggregates a number-of-dives range. I do not know if this is
> > possible with Marble/Openstreetmap.
> > Bubbles scales according to the map zoom. I can give you more examples if
> > you are interested.
>
> This is a very cool visualization. I really like it. Definitely want this
> one.
>
> > Once you zoom-in after a certain scale you get a single dive spot view
> like
> > our current Marble map.
>
> Yes!
>
> > We are not editing dives here so it would be nice that once I hoover on a
> > given dive spot I get a small box with main dive details.
>
> What happens if there are many dives at that spot?

Try for yourself:

http://www.diveboard.com/explore

I think they have a fixd zoom setting where they show the real data on the
map layer.

THis is a news site:

http://roma.repubblica.it/static/rep-locali/rep-roma/mappa-notizie/

Maybe it is a google map api

> > *Time goes by view*
> >
> > http://i.imgur.com/ybpmZ2e.png
> >
> > Despite of the funny name I gave it this is maybe the most classical
> > statistic view: number of dives through the time.
> >
> > I saw many logbooks wasting screens using two separate graphs for months
> > and years.
> >
> > I would like having just one chart which mimics sparklines charts: micro
> > columns/bar charts.
> > I show two examples of what I mean. (one is the Soundcloud chart).
> >
> > Our chart would have:
> >
> > - Each mont is one bar., one year 12 bars
> > - Months are grouped by year using alternate colors: (two shades of gray)
> > 12 months light gray and 12 months dark gray.
> > - Max/Min values (month with most/least dives and year with most/least
> > dives) are indicated by special colors as in the example.
> > - We could give extra info just hoovering on bars and having a info box
> > like the current dive profile.
>
> WOW. That's a lot of work to implement. And except for people who dive
> every week... who would really get much out of this? Maybe I'm mis-judging
> our average user, but I'm not convinced this is all that interesting and
> it would be a lot, lot, lot of work and a lot of bug fixing and what not.

Ok. That was my try to have a lot of info in one place.
I will try to sketch it.
divelogs.de and diving log have separate charts for this

> > - Some of overall stats tab could be moved here and indicated by a bar
> of a
> > special color.
> > - This chart could be moved in the overall tab lowest position.
> >
> > *DDS view (Depth, Duration, SAC)*
> >
> > http://i.imgur.com/7uXP6qS.png
> >
> > Most of logbooks use have 5 charts (at least) for this view plotting
> depth
> > and duration both on x and y-axis...
> >
> > IMHO having depth and duration on y-axis is completely meaningless while
> > having them on x-axis is useful.
> >
> > SAC is the only stats is worth having on x-axis showing evoluton os gas
> > consumption through experience.
> >
> > I would like having just one chart. On the wireframe I draw two charts
> just
> > to show the difference on X-Y axis.
>
> I'd like to see more example pictures of what you want here... this has
> often been requested, and certainly the depth and duration charts seem
> obvious and easy to do.

Ok, I'll try

> > *Pie view*
> >
> > http://i.imgur.com/D0fAH8I.png
> >
> > Whatever can be represented by a pie chart should go here.
> > I found:
> >
> >    - Deco/Curve
> >    - Ripetitive dive Y/n
> >    - Sea/Fresh water dive
> >    - OC/CCR/PSCR/Free dive
> >    - DC Model
> >    - Countries
> >

> Umm, I need a lot more examples to understand what this is supposed to be.
> What does "Deco/Curve" mean? A lot of these seem like "fluff". I don't
> mean this in a bad way, I just think that the incremental use vs.
> incremental effort don't look promising.

A pie chart showing percentage of "new dives" against repetitive dives
You dive with 5 DC but what is the percentage of use of all your dc in you
career?

I agree with your concerns (I'm not a developer :) )
Actually the whole statistics concept applied to our diving log is somewhat
a "fluff".
It's like a selfie.
An hedonistic approach to click and see how I'm good at mixed with
anal-retentive thinking :)
I think that people who dive only in two/three trips in a year don't log
their dives but maybe I'm wrong.
If you do not dive often why you should spend/wasting your time compiling
logbooks?
I saw that a lot of technical divers los their dives, specially reb divers.
My buddies uploaded their dives to divelogs just to see their statistics.

Would be nice having a better understanding of the average dive-logger joe
:)

> > Based on filter selection some statistics charts could be impossible to
> > calculate or display.
> > UI should take care to disable that views that lacks of meaning.
>
> Can you give examples?

I was not clear, sorry. I meant that if you filter only few or even one
dive, what do you pretend to see?

Bye

--
Davide