Request For Comments - Undo/Redo framework

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Feb 10 04:38:10 PST 2015

On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 01:26:04PM +0100, Anton Lundin wrote:
> On 09 February, 2015 - Grace Karanja wrote:
>
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I've been working on implementing an undo/redo framework. The
> > attached patches are what I've done so far. I only have undo working
> > for the deleted dives.
> >
> > This is not in anyway fully working, just a view of what I have done so that
> > you can point me in the right direction
> >

> One random thought.
>
> Most software use ^z for undo and ^y for re-do. We have already used ^y
> on Yearly Statistics, so you grabbed ^Z.

Interesting... my first response was to say "no, I don't think the ^y for
redo is standard", but then I looked around a bit and it turns out that
it's just that the software I most commonly use undo/redo in (Adobe
product) is odd and that at least MS Office has indeed established ^y for
redo.

> Nothing wrong with your decision, just trying to figure out what we
> should do here.
>
> I think its worth more to our uses to try to use ^y for re-do and move
> Yearly Statistics somewhere else.

I agree