Subsurface dive planner - List of findings

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sat Feb 14 07:54:44 PST 2015

On Sat, Feb 14, 2015 at 04:28:40PM +0100, Stefan Fuchs wrote:
> Hallo Dirk,
>
> honestly I love the planner capabilities you built into subsurface. The
> implementation is from my point of view even nicer than e.g. V-Planner -
> and V-planner is really expensive.
> If it's ok for you I would like to help debugging the tool and maybe
> also add a few remarks for some enhancements.

We'd love that. Like most open source projects, we are always looking for
more contributors.

First thing to do is join this mailing list. I added your address to the
approved sender list, so future emails from you won't be held in
moderation anymore...

> Here are a few more findings from testing the dive planner:
> - If I manually enforce a change from e.g. back gas TX21/35 to deco gas
> EAN50 in the dive plan "Planerpunkte" the tool will not show the gas
> change in the results "Tauchplandetails" any more

I know that after having tried this the description seems obvious, but in
order for us to reproduce what happened it's best to give step by step
explanations.

- open planner
- which tanks / gases are in the list?
- which waypoints have you defined?
- when / where do you add the gas change?

> - When I save a planned dive with two gas changes e.g. to EAN50 and OXY,
> in the profile view the two gas changes exchange there position. You can
> even watch the two bottles walking to the other position.

Again, I think we might need more details.

> - When I save a planned dive and then modify it again after saving and
> reopening also my logbook XML, I will have not only my input in the dive
> plan "Planerpunkte" but also all the calculated deco stops. Also in
> other cases some additional entries are added to the dive plan
> "Planerpunkte".

How do you modify the plan? That's still something that has a lot of room
for improvement. It's way too easy to get Subsurface confused.

> One idea for a maybe easy enhancement:
> - To quickly calculate "lost gas" scenarios it would be great to be able
> to enable/disable a gas in the gas list

Good idea