Dive site tags [was: IMPORTANT information about current master: dive site management]

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sat Feb 14 08:03:56 PST 2015

On Sat, Feb 14, 2015 at 03:56:40PM +0100, Henrik Brautaset Aronsen wrote:
> On 14 Feb 2015, at 09:13, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
> >
> > I just pushed this to master. 50 commits from me and 8 from Tomaz for the
> > initial UI.
> >
> > THIS WILL MAKE POTENTIALLY IRREVERSIBLE CHANGES TO YOUR XML FILE
> > This is 100% certain to contain bugs.
> > This may eat your cat.
>
> Looks very functional so far, great work!

Thanks. As I feared this was a rather massive and massively invasive
change. Which is why I wanted to do it right after a release so we have
time to let things shake out before the next release.

> I imported 600+ dives from MacDive, and all duplicate sites were detected properly.

Good.

> I can edit a site, and the changes show up in all the related dives.  Pretty sweet!

Good.

> The XML looks very clean and readable as well.  I like that you chose an
> uuid as identifier, and that you kept the features at a minimum as the
> first implementation.

So much praise... I'm waiting for the "but..."
:-)

> The only thing I am trying to find a solution for is the long site
> names, such as  'Sweden / Värmland / Långban'.  It's generated from the
> country/location/site name taxonomy in MacDive.  So, an idea on how to
> solve that:

I think we have established that I do not want a taxonomy. At all.
Question: do you use trips? Could the country be kept in the trip?

The problem is that different users have different preferences and I don't
think there'll be a way to automate this to the point that everyone
magically gets exactly what they want...

Here's a completely crazy idea... if sites have GPS we can do a reverse
lookup and figure out the country. And we can even display that (as
derived information, not something the user enters). And then, if the
(localized) country string appears in the dive site name, drop that part.

What do you think?

> How about adding tags to dive sites?  And use that when importing:  add
> country and location as tags.  So I would end up with 'Långban' as site
> name, and [Sweden] [Värmland] as tags.  That would be awesome (as
> someone I know would say ;) ).

Uhhh, I like that idea. Awesome.

Let's do that.