Editing sites of existing dives

Benjamin nystire at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 08:24:51 PST 2015

On 14 February 2015 at 17:05, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 14, 2015 at 11:55:51AM +0200, Benjamin wrote:
> > On the latest master, I noticed that a few dive sites appear to have been
> > merged. Could this be due to their GPS coordinates being within a given
> > distance (about 500 metres) of each other?
>
> I'm not 100% sure :-)
>
> I /think/ they should only be merged if the GPS is identical (distance 0)
>
> Can you send a before and after XML file that shows the problem?
>
> > Also, When trying to edit the sites in order to get the location
> > names/coordinates back, Subsurface changes the site to which the dive was
> > associated, causing all the other dives which were merged with that site
> > be change.
>
> Correct. We are missing a UI that says "turn this into a new dive site".
> As I said in my announcement, there are a bunch of features missing.
>
> > The only way I could set the sites properly was to manually edit
> > the XML file and set the divesiteid tag after creating a new site from
> > inside Subsurface.
>
> Not good. I'd love a small XML file that show the problem, plus your ideas
> how the UI should work that allows you to add a new dive site for an
> existing dive that already has a dive site associated with it.
>
> Thanks
>
> /D

Seems like at some stage there was a brainfart on my side. When I open up
the v2 XML file, I find that the coordinates are listed as identical. I'll
need to burrow through my logbooks and see how/when I entered the wrong
coordinates, as although the sites were really close to each other (a
circle of about 500 metres radius), they were separate locations with
rather different sea-life (corals/frogfish vs turtles, octopi and
nudibranches vs a university's underwater experimental structures).
Subsurface seems to have merged the sites and just used the first name
which was listed.

When using the dive site management screen, if the user has ONLY changed
the dive site name would it be possible/feasible/sensible to ask the user
if this is a new dive site when "Apply changes" is selected? If it is not a
new site, then update the name. Otherwise require the user to either change
the GPS coordinates manually, or to select a new point on the globe
component before allowing the data to be saved? If the user has already
changed both the name and the coordinates in some way before selecting
"Apply changes", then just create the new dive site.

A list of sites and locations could be displayed, so that the user can
browse/add/edit/delete sites without needing to choose a dive in order to
access the site management functionality.

Does the above make any sense, or has narcosis blown my grey matter to hell
already? :P

Benjamin