Dive site tags [was: IMPORTANT information about current master: dive site management]

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sat Feb 14 18:55:18 PST 2015

On Sat, Feb 14, 2015 at 05:43:38PM +0100, Henrik Brautaset Aronsen wrote:
> On 14 Feb 2015, at 16:51, Henrik Brautaset Aronsen <subsurface at henrik.synth.no> wrote:
> >
> > On 14 Feb 2015, at 17:03, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
> >> Here's a completely crazy idea... if sites have GPS we can do a reverse
> >> lookup and figure out the country. And we can even display that (as
> >> derived information, not something the user enters). And then, if the
> >> (localized) country string appears in the dive site name, drop that part.
> >>
> >> What do you think?
> >
> > Not important to me, but it sounds good.
>
> After dinner and a glass of wine, I can upgrade my praise:  Reverse
> lookup sounds great!  Let's just hope we can keep up to date with
> ever-changing border disputes ;)

So I know how to do this and have tested it and have an idea how to
implement it... BUT... in which language would you like that response to
be? It's easy to have it respond in your UI language. But that may not be
the language in which you fill out these fields. So this is not a perfect
solution... and it may not be able to reliably detect a country component
in your site name in order to strip that... are you saying "US"? Or "USA"?
Or "United States of America" (I sure hope not). Etc.

Oh, and of course there's the problem that these are web service request
and the internet may be down or blocked or slow or... so I need to figure
out how to work around that, too.

I still like the idea :-)