Dive site tags [was: IMPORTANT information about current master: dive site management]

Davide DB dbdavide at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 02:19:50 PST 2015

On Sun, Feb 15, 2015 at 5:34 AM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> And because I do and because I had some spare time this evening... I just
> created a crude proof of concept and pushed it out.
>
> This has a few warts:
> - only works for XML
> - since we don't have Tags yet, it adds a "countrytag:" to the notes instead
> - it is slow (I have 127 distinct GPS fixes in my dive log and it took
>   about 20 seconds to open a V2 export of that logfile). I have no idea
>   how horribly slow it will be in other geos / for people with slow
>   internet connection. I haven't even tested what it does with no internet
>   connection... I bet it's horrible
>
> Mostly I want to know what people think about this idea. It would be
> trivial to add this whenever someone adds (from whatever source) a GPS fix
> to a dive site.
>
> This does try to be smart and asks for the country in your UI language. So
> if you are running Subsurface in Norwegian, you should get Norwegian
> country names :-)
>
> So, comments? Suggestions? Flames?

My user opinion:

Reverse geocoding YES
Dive site tags ABSOLUTELY NO

We cannot use TAGs for everything. Tags were invented for folksnomies
not  taxonomies.

Country/State/Place is a taxonomy.

Dive site structure should be just a (optional***) text field above
the main dive site location got from GPS and eventually from online
dive site database or user edit.

(***) Under geolocation settings prefs. users have the opportunity to
enable/disable the dive site structure field and if enabled location
structure is managed by geolocation format chosen by user preferences:

country
country/place
country/state/place

Hence location structure text field IS NOT user editable: everything
is taken from GPS point in a reliable manner (I agree with Linus on
GPS point).

Regarding localization I'm not a cartographer nor I ever played with
Google or OpenStreetMap reverse geolocation API but I suppose that
should be a way to control localization: Right now setting Subsurface
in Italian language I see all places in Italian language but countries
are always in English. I see Italy and not Italia regardless of my
language settings. I do not know if Subsurface indicates any locale to
Marble map either...

Anyway I'm a big fans fo reverse geocoding:

http://trac.subsurface-divelog.org/ticket/802

But again please do not mess everything with tags that was invented
for Folksnomies not  taxonomies.

Country/State/Place is a taxsonomy.