Dive site tags [was: IMPORTANT information about current master: dive site management]

Henrik Brautaset Aronsen subsurface at henrik.synth.no
Sun Feb 15 03:41:36 PST 2015

On 15 Feb 2015, at 05:34, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 14, 2015 at 06:55:18PM -0800, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>>
>> So I know how to do this and have tested it and have an idea how to
>> implement it... BUT... in which language would you like that response to
>> be? It's easy to have it respond in your UI language. But that may not be
>> the language in which you fill out these fields. So this is not a perfect
>> solution... and it may not be able to reliably detect a country component
>> in your site name in order to strip that... are you saying "US"? Or "USA"?
>> Or "United States of America" (I sure hope not). Etc.

I'd want the names in my local language.  And I don't think you'd have to strip anything from the name, just keep it as is.   (Especially if/when Country and Location becomes tags on import.)

> - since we don't have Tags yet, it adds a "countrytag:" to the notes instead

Really looking forward to the tags & tag filtering :)

> - it is slow (I have 127 distinct GPS fixes in my dive log and it took
>  about 20 seconds to open a V2 export of that logfile). I have no idea
>  how horribly slow it will be in other geos / for people with slow
>  internet connection. I haven't even tested what it does with no internet
>  connection... I bet it's horrible

I tried it with my 600+ dives.  Took about a minute.  Not too shabby, actually.  With a progress bar it would be OK.    We could even have an option next to that progress bar to stop resolving locations.

So, we're only getting country from that service?  Not region/county?

Henrik