[Dive site management] Actual issues

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Feb 15 06:32:53 PST 2015

Hi Salvador,

On Sun, Feb 15, 2015 at 10:56:23AM +0100, Salvador Cuñat wrote:
> Import from xml-v2 worked fine. No data loss at all.

Good.

> I know it's a bit soon as the change is very hot yet,  but I've realized
> these weirdneses while testing, on git - 2bd0198, debian unstable, 32b
> machine:
>
> - Input of a new dive site *must* be done on Notes tab  (not in manage) or
> it won't be saved.
>
> - The new site *must* be saved (from dive editing/notes tab) in order to be
> able to edit in manage tab (this include adding coordinates).
>
> - If the new dive is saved without a name (e.g.  you download the data,
> save them, and try to go to "manage" to add the dive site name and GPS),
> manage tab, apparents to work, but on saving, you get no dive site data.
> This is valid too if you simply try to add the dive site name in the Notes
> tab after saving the dive without dive point name.
>
> So actual work flow for entering data would be:
>
> Download/add dive data -> Name dive site in Notes/Add tab ->  Save  ->  Go
> to manage tab ->  Add coordinates, comments, etc. -> Save
>
> It seems to me a bit unintuitive.

Not just a bit. It's simply crap. And it's not intended to work that way.

The current UI is basically something Tomaz created in a day as a mockup.
I needed some form of UI to get started and had asked him to stop working
on the UI for a few days while I implemented the infrastructure.

We now need to define the UI flow so this can be fixed, there are parts of
this that I know and understand, and parts that I'm still a bit unclear
about.

a) there needs to be a way to create a new site in the dive site view
b) if the user types a new location in the dive view and then hits manage,
things need to be hooked up correctly and this needs to turn into a new
site
c) there needs to be a way to just look at sites and manage them as
independent entities

I'm sure I'm missing things.