Dive site tags [was: IMPORTANT information about current master: dive site management]

Davide DB dbdavide at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 07:22:58 PST 2015

Il 15/feb/2015 15:43 "Dirk Hohndel" <dirk at hohndel.org> ha scritto:

> On Sun, Feb 15, 2015 at 11:19:50AM +0100, Davide DB wrote:
> >
> > My user opinion:
> >
> > Reverse geocoding YES
> > Dive site tags ABSOLUTELY NO
> >
> > We cannot use TAGs for everything. Tags were invented for folksnomies
> > not  taxonomies.
> >
> > Country/State/Place is a taxonomy.
>
> Yes. And as many people have pointed out there will not be a location
> taxonomy. Not in a project that I maintain.
>
> But I understand that there are otherwise very reasonable people who
> really want to be able to track Country/State/Place of their dives.
> So adding tags is an excellent way to do just that.
>
> One person can track certain aspects of the site in tags (say, shore,
> boat, wreck, cave). Other people can use the tags as a poor man's
> implementation of a taxonomy. Or you can do both.
>
> As I'm writing this, I'm wondering... should tags for a site be
> automagically shown as part of the tags of any dive at this site?
> So if you mark a site as "shore" then any dive at that site is a shore
> dive? I think that would be very convenient...
> And it means that we can very easily extend the filter function to cover
> things like "search for all my dives in Sweden" (hint: ZERO).
>
> > Dive site structure should be just a (optional***) text field above
> > the main dive site location got from GPS and eventually from online
> > dive site database or user edit.
> >
> > (***) Under geolocation settings prefs. users have the opportunity to
> > enable/disable the dive site structure field and if enabled location
> > structure is managed by geolocation format chosen by user preferences:
> >
> > country
> > country/place
> > country/state/place
>
> This is the problem with taxonomies. Now we are starting to create
> structure. I know at least on diver who always tracks the body of water. I
> know another one who for reasons I cannot explain tracks the county.
>
> I don't want to try to create a taxonomy that makes every one happy. I
> don't want to have to think about the data structure below that. I don't
> want to think about the insanity of trying to import from different data
> formats.
>
> With tags we can simply have a drop down that allows the user to pick the
> separator and have each of the components that get added to the site name
> be parsed out into tags. And then the user can filter for that, do
> statistics on that, etc.
>
> > Hence location structure text field IS NOT user editable: everything
> > is taken from GPS point in a reliable manner (I agree with Linus on
> > GPS point).
>
> And I disagree on that. GPS reverse lookup is nice - but many sites have
> no GPS. I have a ton of old sites in my dive log before I started tracking
> GPS locations. I have no intention of faking the GPS points, nor do I want
> to be excluded from having these sites tracked.
>
> > Regarding localization I'm not a cartographer nor I ever played with
> [...]

Dirk do not fool yourself.
Are you bending reality?

That is a taxonomy . it's a matter of fact.
Online Database and services where you get the data have it as a taxonomy.
It's the reason because you can access to them via an API because they are
taxonomy. Otherwise Germany Italy apple and orange would be the same.
I was repeating endlessly that I agree with you that we do not force a
specific taxonomy and you left the user choose.
You know what you can get from online services (I mean which fields) and
you offer users what it makes sense for them.

I do not want having CCR PHOTO REEF WRECK PHOTO VIDEO with ITALY and
TUSCANY.

At least you should divide them in two separate sets.

But really I do not understand why you would mix everything when you know
exactly which kind of data you fetch from online services.
I mean you fetch "Florida" and "Wakulla spring". You know exactly what they
are but you save them as two tags.
A big mess...