Merging Dives (P.S. -- multiple email addresses)

Steve Butler kg7je at comcast.net
Sun Feb 15 19:55:13 PST 2015

On 02/15/2015 05:41 PM, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 15, 2015 at 03:06:48PM -0800, Steve Butler wrote:
>> My wife's DC recorded 4 separate dives (pool work for her Rescue Diver
>> class) on Sunday Jan 29th.  She wanted them all merged into a single dive.

> But for every pair of dives it's supposed to merge it calls
> can_merge() and that only succeeds if there's less than 30 minutes between
> the dives...
One of these days I'll read the manual.  Last time I read a manual
though, I ended up in a timed 4-hour test.

> That's an arbitrary threshold, of course. It seemed to make sense to
> us... if you have more than 30 minutes surface interval, it really
> doesn't seem to be the same dive anymore...
<<snip>>

> You should ask yourself why you want to merge these dives to begin with...
> the idea behind merging was if you did a dive but for some reason had to
> come to the surface and the silly computer decides to start a new dive,
> whereas in reality you are just continuing the dive. > 30 minutes on the
> surface seems not to fit that pattern.
Since we were in the water all 5 hours (she on one AL-64), she wanted
them all combined.  Now we know and she'll live with what we did manage
to merge.

As for me, I'm going to delete the pool dives and keep only the paper
copy the instructor signs!

The two OW dives last Sunday ended up being all surface scenarios. Final
three ocean dives next Sunday.  Then we'll both be rescue diver certified.
>> PS  Can my account have more than one email address?  Try as I do, my Ubuntu
>> box and my phone don't seem to agree on which mail box emails are sent from.
>> I suspect the one from my phone hangs up until the moderator releases it.
>>
>> The phone email comes from kg7je at comcast.net
>> Thunderbird claims this email is from kg7je at comcast.net with a reply-to of
>> kg7je at arrl.net
>> I think I registered with kg7je at arrl.net
> Both of these emails are accepted for posting. And I don't see anything
> from you in the moderation queue.

I think it happened last week and you may have fixed it be default
then.  Thanks.

--Steve