Dive site tags [was: IMPORTANT information about current master: dive site management]

Jef Driesen jef at libdivecomputer.org
Mon Feb 16 00:20:41 PST 2015

On 2015-02-15 15:43, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 15, 2015 at 11:19:50AM +0100, Davide DB wrote:
>> country
>> country/place
>> country/state/place
>
> This is the problem with taxonomies. Now we are starting to create
> structure. I know at least on diver who always tracks the body of
> water. I
> know another one who for reasons I cannot explain tracks the county.
>
> I don't want to try to create a taxonomy that makes every one happy. I
> don't want to have to think about the data structure below that. I
> don't
> want to think about the insanity of trying to import from different
> data
> formats.

How about a hierarchical dive site structure? Users that don't care
about any kind of structure, can just use a flat list. Users that prefer
some kind of taxonomy are free to create the one they like (e.g.
Country/State/Place, Country/Place, Water Body/Place, etc are all
possible).

As far as subsurface is concerned, there would still be no real
structure involved (except for the child/parent relationship of course).
The actual structure and how to use it, is entirely up to the user.

This idea is of course not mutually exclusive with tags!

Jef