problems compiling subsurface 4.4 on fedora 18

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Feb 17 14:14:36 PST 2015

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 04:28:43PM +0100, Michele Fabi wrote:

> > > On Feb 17, 2015, at 7:12 AM, Michele Fabi <fabiemme at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Thanks for your help Dirk. I have no hurry to use subsurface on this
> > laptop so I can indifferently wait for a 4.4.1 version or upgrade my
> > laptop, but I don't want to force the team to write a newer version, if it
> > isn't already in your roadmap.
> >
> > Oh no, 4.4.1 is on the roadmap. It got delayed by a few days because I got
> > distracted with fun new code I wanted to write instead, but this delay
> > gives me a chance to make sure it’s easier to compile things from source.
> >
> > > It's been very interesting to talk with you guys. I have some new items
> > to study :)
> >
> > Again, thanks for your patience - normally it’s much easier to start using
> > Subsurface :-)
> >
> > /D
> >
> > In fact usually it is. Glad to hear that from my old fedora it will comes
> out a script that will solve these problems. I'm more than happy to
> contribute to the project in every way it's possible.

OK, please do this:

mkdir ~/testfordirk
cd ~/testfordirk
git clone -b v4.4-branch git://subsurface-divelog.org/subsurface.git
./subsurface/scripts/build.sh

now wait. possibly a while as it builds quite a few things

if it fails, capture the bug and send it to us

if it doesn't (YAY!) you can run Subsurface like this:

./subsurface/scripts/run.sh

Hopefully this will be a step in the right direction.

Thanks