[RFC ]Dive site tags: my try

Davide DB dbdavide at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 17:31:00 PST 2015

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 1:58 AM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
> Davide,
> It is very exciting to me to be going from "no one with any decent design
> sense" to having "a diver with design ideas" plus "a designer who can help
> turn this into beautiful software"...
>
> I believe Tomaz was planning to walk Luisa through some of your ideas
> today and tomorrow.

Explosive mix :)

>> Migration is triggered:
>>
>> - Opening a V2 logbook via File > Open.
>> - Importing a V2 logbook via Import > Import log file.
>
> So basically the feature that I thought most people use (you have a
> default file that automatically opens when you start Subsurface) is
> something that you didn't consider?
>
> Or is it that if your default file is a V2 file it ISN'T just opened but
> instead the user gets presented with a dialog that asks them how they want
> to migrate their data?

I simply forgot it.
Yes, as you open Subsurface 4.5 you will prompted for data migration.

>> WELCOME
>> ----------------
>> A welcome dialog informs the user of what will going on in a minute
>> (doomsday device).
>> All instruction are given:
>>
>> http://i.imgur.com/sQ6NMdP.png
>
> I don't like the "will delete your logbook" language. It should say "will
> save a backup of your unmodified logbook in _this_location_ and then
> migrate your data in place" (or something along those lines).

You are right.
I just wrote random thoughts. Of course a great care should be taken
explainng the whole process.
We don't want to loose our users.

>> PREVIEW
>> --------------------
>>
>> Next step is the import/migration process by itself.
>> We need a progress bar nad we need a preview of what we are going to
>> save (and eventually accept, reject, edit)
>>
>> http://i.imgur.com/2eJXqgo.png
>>
>> The procedure will show a table for "GPS dives" and "manual dives"
>> showing names before/after.
>> We could accept all with a global check-box or one by one and
>> eventually edit the new name before saving.
>> I did not show file open/save dialogs.
>
> I understand what "accept" means. But what happens if a user doesn't
> accept a dive? Is there a manual process to set geo tags? Or is just the
> site name used with no geo tags?

I don't know exactly :)
There will be no geo-tags.
See my comment on the dive site tab:

> Maybe when I tried to use the service it was not available (network..)
> so I could imagine to have a special icon indicating that this dive
> site has not been correctly updated...

So we could find a way to indicate missing info during the normal use.
You suggested a proper dive site view and management. We should find a
flag there.

>> In my opinion once we use the reverse geocoding service we should
>> graba nd save into the xml ALL the attributes/geo-tags regardless of
>> user choice. In other words: the user choose only what he will display
>> later.
>> This could be useful later for maximum compatibility when
>> interfacing/exporting to other logbooks.
>
> Why would we? If we can get those data once, we can get them again... I
> see no reason to fill up the XML files with all that information if the
> user doesn't care about it...

Ok, you are right.

>> USER PREFERENCES
>> -----------------------------------
>>
>> User could decide to change dive site structure later.
>> Configuration is made via a new option in the user preference dialog.
>> In my wireframe I slightly rearranged the current dialog (more idea to
>> come...).
>>
>> http://i.imgur.com/RS5fjKJ.png
>>
>> Basically here there are more or less same options of the migration process.
>> Dive site structure format for dives without gps data should be of
>> help while creating a new dive manually or without companion app. [I'm
>> not fully convinced here].
>
> I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here.

Me too. (I'm joking)
Regarding dives without gps data: while in the migration process you
choose which field will be assigned during location parsing, here you
decide how your new dive names will be formatted. Actually the same
thing.
It's the manual procedure who scares me a bit. There will be a lot of
user errors, duplicates, nonsense...

>> When you add GPS data to an existing dive, reverse geocoding format
>> would take precedence over previous data (aka overwrite).
>
> Really? Shouldn't there be a "do you want to replace "THIS" with "THAT"
> dialog?

Of course, In a hurry I just described the final effect.
I was afraid that describing and drawing wireframes for everything I
would have completed after the real implementation.

>> NOTES TAB
>> --------------------------------------
>>
>> IMHO the new Location field into the Notes panel should be just a NOT
>> editable texbox.
>
> That makes things easier. But if there is no site name, yet, that is a bit
> awkward. Unless you turn that field itself into the button and then if
> there is no site dat you turn the text into "click here to add a dive
> site".
>
>> Eventually near dive site name you have the geo-tags chosen (via
>> reverse geocoding or manually added). In my wireframe I imagined a
>> group box with geo-tags. In a hurry I did not draw all Notes controls.
>>
>> http://i.imgur.com/OphJsjy.png
>
> OK - that takes a lot of space - but we just dropped the coordinates.

Our current tag labels are smaller than those I found in this library.

>> There's no "manage button" but there is a new tab named "Dive site"
>> that is an extended view on the dive location.
>
> I want fewer tabs, not more :-/
>
>> Dirk wrote about a dedicated view to manage all dive sites...
>> I avoided it in my wireframes. It would be nice we could avoid another view.
>
> I'll push back on that. The current dive site view sucks. But imagine one
> where instead of the profile you have a "site photo" plus all photos
> associated with dives at this site? And instead of a dive list below you
> have a list of dive sites that you can manage? I think that adds
> substantial value.

You bought me.
I was trying to save lines of code :)

>> http://i.imgur.com/RD7FdQs.png
>
> I disagree with the text. The user is not "editing 49 dives". The user is
> "editing a dive site used in 49 dives". Very different.

Right!
But with the dive site management view this will be trown away.

Bye

--
Davide
https://vimeo.com/bocio/videos