Installing dunce cap and facing corner

Steve Butler kg7je at comcast.net
Thu Feb 19 08:28:48 PST 2015

On 02/18/2015 02:47 PM, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 02:22:09PM -0800, Steve Butler wrote:
>> I re-cloned subsurface (per email for somebody else to build from source)
>> with -b v4.4-branch.  Compiled to version 4.4.0-56-g554b652d25d9 and then
>> compared to latest daily build via distro which was 4.4.0-67.
>>
>> Did a 'get checkout master' and redid the build script.  Same version as the
>> v4.4-branch (4.4.0-56-g554b652d25d9).
>>
>> How is it that the latest source code has an earlier version? [Hence the
>> dunce cap pre-installed and facing corner.]
> Dunce cap should be mine.

I thought the answer was so basic that I couldn't see it.  Had a couple
of items at work like that.  Too close to the tree and missed the forest.

Trying to get up to running speed but finding there is this crawling
phase I need to figure out!
> The attempt to use linear numbers for something that simply isn't linear
> is a recipe for failure. The v4.4-branch starts from v4.4.0 - and so both
> master and that branch get numbers in the 4.4.0.gitrev space.
>
> My excuse is that I really don't want to do dot releases and haven't spent
> enough time to figure out a way to make this work. And so I just punt and
> say "whatever" :-/
>
>> For what it is worth -- script works on Ubuntu 14.10.  At least I got an
>> executable out of it.
> Cool. Thanks. I just released 4.4.1 (announcement to the mailing list
> comes next)
>
> /D
I'll force software center to take a look in a few minutes.