Dive Location

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Feb 23 05:44:00 PST 2015

On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 07:58:17AM +0200, Miika Turkia wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 5:08 AM, Steve Butler <kg7je at comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > 4.4.1-175 (Ubuntu 14.10 via PPA daily) appears to have lost ability to
> > add/update the Location.

Yes, current master is a bit rough around the edges. Work / travel had me
rather busy last week and I didn't find time to fix it, yet.

> > I tried entering 'Ditman Mill Pond, Tacoma, WA' directly into the field
> > and then clicked on "Apply Changes".  However it didn't show up in the dive
> > list panel.  When I navigated away from the dive and came back it went
> > missing from the location field.
>
> The location edit field is not supposed to be used after the introduction
> to dive site management feature.

Yes, I need to change to UI to create a consistent experience here. I'm
still not convinced that I know what I really want there, though, which
makes it harder to fix.

> > Then saw the Manage button and tried that route.  Same end result.
>
> I can confirm that this does not work for newly downloaded dives. I also
> got a crash but of course I am not able to reproduce when running in gdb
> with debug symbols.

Crash is bad. If gdb doesn't allow reproducing then usually it's a memory
layout issue, so running it under valgrind is usually my next stop.

> > This was two new dives downloaded from Suuntu Cobra.
> >
> > Closed the file (saving the changes).  Reopened and tried it again. Almost
> > same results.  This time when typing into the Location field it offered up
> > the description entered on the prior dive (closed Subsurface in the
> > meantime).  However, still didn't stick in the location field.  Nor did it
> > show up in the dive list panel.
>
> Editing location works on my old logbook, but not with newly downloaded
> dives. Saving and reopening the log does not help at all. It seems that the
> new dives do not have the location tag associated with the. So naturally
> all the changes are lost when editing the new dives...

Hmm - I thought I addressed that... need to look if that patch got lost or
if there's a case I missed...