free diving vs scuba diving

Jef Driesen jef at libdivecomputer.org
Fri Jan 2 07:35:19 PST 2015

On 01-01-15 18:52, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> So we have seen a request in the user forum for people to easily tell
> apart free dives and scuba dives (the requester apparently is an
> instructor for both).
>
> Some dive computers allow you to switch modes between the two disciplines
> and libdivecomputer gives us that data, but we are being silly and simply
> match them both as "open circuit".
>
> It's easy to add code that adds another dive mode "free dive", but the
> questions is - how do we use this in Subsurface.
>
> Simplistic solution would be
> - no deco calculation
> - add a tag "freedive" that is a built in tag and gets translated
>
> This way people can easily search for their free dives.
>
> I think I'll hack together some code that does that.
>
> But what else should we do?

There is another complication with freediving. Apparently there are devices that
are capable of recording freedives with a sample rate less than one second. The
only examples I know about are the Aeris F11 and Liquivision Xen, but there
might be more. Currently libdivecomputer doesn't support this feature (our
smallest resolution for the samples is one second), but we'll probably have to
deal with this one way or another. A possible solution would be to switch to a
smaller unit (milliseconds) or introduce some kind of scaling factor.

Anyway, the reason why I'm bringing this is up is that if you're going to
introduce support for freediving, then this is something you could take into
account right from the start.

Jef