Updated Mac build instructions

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Jan 2 13:02:34 PST 2015

On Fri, Jan 02, 2015 at 08:31:08PM +0100, Henrik Brautaset Aronsen wrote:
> >I gave up on homebrew ages ago. It causes way more problems than it
> >solves, especially when trying to ship binaries
>
> I had a Mac here without any dev tools on it, so I decided to try the build
> instructions that I updated on the website in October.  It has later been
> changed by others, but my version still works with minor changes.
>
> Advantages:
> - Uses Qt5 from Homebrew, no compilation necessary.

OK

> - Uses latest Marble from official sources, no special branch or patches
> necessary.

No. Not good. You get the weird Wiki-shit and strange context menues and
it tries to load plugins and all kind of oddities. We really don't want
the stock marble. Trust me

> - Fewer options in Subsurface qmake.
>
> Disadvantages:
> - Somewhat longer Marble build instructions.  But I could make a script in
> packages/macosx/ to fix that (if anyone wants it).

Have you looked at the SIZE of your marble libs? My guess is around
100MB...

> Should I create a patch for the INSTALL file, and update the website?

Not really... I'm glad this works for you, but I don't want to tell our
users to do it this way.

Frankly, the number of people building from source who aren't on the list
is most likely low single digits, anyway...