layout changes

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Jan 2 23:05:44 PST 2015

So in a fit of anger and clearly with a certain dose of self-losing and yearning to inflict pain on myself I decided to tackle the horrid layout issues that we had been facing. I know, engineers working on design and everything. But Subsurface 4.3 looks terrible. And it doesn’t look much better on Linux, either.

So with that in mind I went on a quest to figure out why the Mac and KDE (to be specific) versions look so extremely different. And it turns out that layouts have different default margins - and we randomly did and did not set margins in the .ui files.
I cleaned up some of the .ui files and gave the layouts reasonable names so we can reference them from the Qt code. And I did a rather blunt and brutal attempt to force some consistency onto the layout. The result is of course in the eye of the beholder. Here is Subsurface 4.3 on my iMac5k:

With the latest master it looks in my mind a bit more reasonable

But the thing that strikes me the worst is the wasted space in the toolbar between the tab widget and the profile.
Something is scaling the icons and adding this massive amount of white space around them that allows us to only show 7 buttons at this resolution (~1000x~550 - so that’s what you’d get on a netbook or small laptop). That’s a joke - at roughly the same size I can get 10 buttons on Linux - and the overall look of the toolbar is better there as well:

(the size is scaled because I’m running Linux on a my rrMBP in full resolution and then MacOS wants to scale things when doing a screenshot or something… whatever)

Now make no mistake - overall the Mac layout is MUCH more attractive. But those buttons. Yuck.

Qt experts - any way to fix that?