layout changes

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Jan 4 07:20:47 PST 2015

On Sun, Jan 04, 2015 at 10:56:00AM +0100, Joakim Bygdell wrote:

> > But the thing that strikes me the worst is the wasted space in the toolbar between the tab widget and the profile.
> > Something is scaling the icons and adding this massive amount of white space around them that allows us to only show 7 buttons at this resolution (~1000x~550 - so that’s what you’d get on a netbook or small laptop). That’s a joke - at roughly the same size I can get 10 buttons on Linux - and the overall look of the toolbar is better there as well:
> >

> I compared the size of the images for those buttons, the majority of them are 23x23px.
> scale.png is 24x24
> gaschange.png is 50x47
> pictures.png is 48x48
> icon-ceiling-alltissues.png is 48x48
>
> Unless there are any scaling set in the qt-ui code the column space for the icons would be set based on the widest image.

Hmm - interesting observation. Let me see if I can make it do something
useful with my limited Qt skills :-)

Oh yes I can. You're a genius, Joakim! You pointed me in the right
direction to solve this issue. It wasn't a margin. Apparently on Linux it
always scales the icons to some pre-determined size. But on Mac it doesn't
and allows space for the largest icon.

Now the real solution is of course that we need scalable icons so we can
set the icon size relative to the font size. But for now this seems to get
rid of the worst ugliness on Mac.

THANKS!